Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Robert, you have to start somewhere. The Adam and Eve story is not what you think it is. But you have to start somewhere, or you'll never start anywhere. I don't have to understand how nuclear energy works to enjoy electricty. I don't have to understand the workings of a combustion engine to enoy driving a car. I don't have to understand all the workings of how God in scripture to enjoy experiencing him.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I hope to check in once or twice during the next two weeks and see the progress of this...Cheerio!

Just twelve more days 'til we hold the 2007 Newport Beach Ecumenical Council. We hope to vote on many more issues affecting the Church today, and if my spouse gives me any trouble about attending, we might just take a re-vote on the old "do women have souls question"!

Cheerio is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Presence is Requested at a Designated Local Featuring...

Oh, I don't know; you locals pick:

62nd Street Espresso
213 62nd St , Newport Beach 92663
949-642-9633

Al Cappuccino
4547 W Pacific Coast Hwy , Newport Beach 92663
949-650-1993

Alta Coffee Co
506 31st St , Newport Beach 92663
949-675-0233

Cafe A La Cart
1045 Newport Center Dr , Newport Beach 92660
949-720-1185

Cappuccino Alfresco
620 Newport Center Dr , Newport Beach 92660
949-721-0688

Coffee Emporium
401 Newport Center Dr , Newport Beach 92660
949-640-6027

Common Grounds
3412 Via Oporto , Newport Beach 92663
949-675-3779

Diedrich Coffee
3601 Jamboree Rd , Newport Beach 92660-2961
949-833-9143

Diedrich Coffee
322 Marine Ave , Newport Beach 92662
949-675-9300

Diedrich Coffee Cart
620 Newport Center Dr , Newport Beach
949-721-0688

Insomnia Cafe
103 Palm St , Newport Beach 92661
949-673-3263

Kelly's Coffee & Fudge Factory
4341 Mac Arthur Blvd , Newport Beach 92660
949-475-9288

Kelly's Coffee & Fudge Factory
309 Palm Ave Ste B , Newport Beach 92661
949-675-3493

La Mocha
1001 Newport Center Dr , Newport Beach 92660
949-721-9320

Lido Lounge & Cafe
3636 Newport Blvd , Newport Beach
949-723-9240

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert M Blevins:
And she tossed out the thermal underwear, too. (Mormons would understand this reference.)

Is it true (or a suburban Salt Lake City legend) that Mormon gentlemen must wear undergarments whilst having a bath (or shower)?

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I believe I have heard this somewhere.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Scripture says God wrote the Bible.

Who besides me can see the illogic with this sentence?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Doug Spaulding lives on the other side of the world, way up north...What's mid-way???

North Ventura county, up near the ocean, where the fog is thick and the days are cool, is where I reside.

Midway would be approximately Inglewood, but let's not.

Tell you what, we will find ourselves somewhere in your area on the weekend of Saturday, April 21, or perhaps Sunday. Let me just verify this with "She-Who-Must-be-Obeyed", and I'll get back to you.

We might just be able to drink that cup, and save the world, too!

Na Bu Dah! I anxiously await further details. May "SHE - who must be obeyed" concur.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Scripture says God wrote the Bible.

Who besides me can see the illogic with this sentence?

=================================================
I'm sure there are those who will see your opinion. Fret not. They're out there.

But now my question to you. We'll start with this one: Where does Ray Bradbury get his talent to write his stories?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by me:
...and I'll get back to you.

Alrighty then, Council attenders, here's the situation as she exists:

We can be in Newport Beach around 1.30, but then we'll be ready for our lunch by then, so add another hour and say 2.30 for drinks and philosophy?

That Irish Public House supposedly has music on Sunday afternoon, but they're also rumoured to be rather loud, which would not lend itself to conversation.

Like I said, y'all pick a place and post it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Where does Ray Bradbury get his talent to write his stories?

He claims it is his muse, telling him the stories as he awakens, and he races to his early-morning typewriter and puts them down - but then you already knew that.

Of course, he doesn't really race anymore, nor does he type. It's a metaphor for work done. He dictates them these days.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug spaulding: No, not where HE thinks he gets his ideas, where do YOU think his talent, his gift originates..?

What Sunday are we talking about? THIS Sunday is kaput! The next one, 22nd, is okay...as of now. 21st is okay as well...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug spaulding: No, not where HE thinks he gets his ideas, where do YOU think his talent, his gift originates..?

What Sunday are we talking about? THIS Sunday is kaput! The next one, 22nd, is okay...as of now. 21st is okay as well...

That's my point - according to him, the stories are already there in his "mind theater". If someone were whispering stories into my inner ear, I would probably be able to write them down too!

I don't know whether or not you're trying to get me to say that talent is God-given, but if so, I concur with that - everything comes from God.

It's a complicated question.

The 22nd.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Strangely enough, Shirley Temple said the most insulting thing people ever said, in speaking of her, concerned her "natural talent." To her, her dancing represented years of lessons followed by grueling hours of practice.

What Shirley overlooked, in being insulted this way, was that millions of parents also took their kids to dance class and subjected them to grueling hours of practice--I recall one story of a little girl complaining to her father that she was tired and him saying, "No, your feet aren't bleeding yet." Yet not one single child, even if drilled harder than Shirley, achieved the success she did. I think Bill "Bojangles" Robinson got it right when he said, "Shirley's feet were just God-given."

As far as drive, RAY had to be the one who ensured he wrote 1,000 words a day, every day--no one else. As far as the words being good, well, practice makes perfect. As far as the leap to greatness, though--I believe there's an inexplicable something which can only be defined as "God-given"--although Ray defines "genius" as simply doing the work you were meant to do, not having that work classified as genius by others.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion:
Okay, here we go with this..'.meant to do' stuff. There's a question to ask RAY. Where did this' meant to do' thing originate? If he says it's genetics, of course, where did genetics come from. It all boils down to the simpliest dot of things inside of an atom, and where did it all come from? In scripture it says, of this place and time where we know of and live and have our existence, there was absolutely...nothing! And God 'breathed' it all into existence. Again, we're not much better than an ant 'looking' at a computer and trying to understand the internet. What does a place with no' time' look like? Scientists say something like that is in a black hole. Some suggest everything happens there all at once. A question was an atheists a couple weeks ago at as publicv debate. The question was, how much of the universe does man actually know? .0000000000001% The atheist answered, "probably?" So then, he was again asked, "So that leaves aprox. 99.9999999999999% of the universe is unknown. And you think this is sufficient to write out God from the equation? "

I can't recall the answer, but it may be last week's NEWSWEEK. It the complete text isn't, then it's likely on their website.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's my point - according to him, the stories are already there in his "mind theater". If someone were whispering stories into my inner ear, I would probably be able to write them down too!

I don't know whether or not you're trying to get me to say that talent is God-given, but if so, I concur with that - everything comes from God.

It's a complicated question.

The 22nd.

I am checking on this little place in Newport Beach on 17th street near Newport Blvd.

http://www.harpinn.com/index.html

I will see what they say about Irish coffee, they have food and other stuff, and I don't think there will be any music on a Sunday afternoon. More to come. Other suggestions? Malarkey's is nearby as well.

On the high end in Fascist Island, Newport Beach is Muldoon's:

http://www.muldoonspub.com/default.asp

But I see they are havin' music at 2pm on the 22nd?

I think we need piece and quiet to unravel the future of the religion as it were, eh?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patrask,

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harp looks good - cheap Irish food, nice selection of ale, and quiet time on the 22nd.

But coffee?

"Live Forever!"