Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Stephen Hawking calling Ray Bradbury calling Stephen Hawking...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stephen Hawking calling Ray Bradbury calling Stephen Hawking...
 Login/Join

posted
Stephen Hawking calling Ray Bradbury calling Stephen Hawking... ... !!

This, latest from Hawking...

http://www.comcast.net/news/science/index.jsp?cat=SCIEN....html&cvqh=itn_space

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES!! [makes rock'n'roll fingers]
I can't wait!!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By all means read Nard's article reference to Dr. Hawkings. He alludes to the fact that if we do not destroy ourselves completely in the next hundred years, space colonization must become a logical progression - a very familiar RB cant.

But, be sure to also read the article about the "new nukes." It sounds like something out of my college days when I regularly read National Lampoon. If that article isn't loaded with doublespeak, I'm not an RB fan.

In view of Hawking's comments, the irony of not being able to keep the researcher's out of the office is most startling.

http://www.comcast.net/news/science/index.jsp?cat=SCIEN...06/06/13/412330.html

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has long been a Ray Bradbury concern. He denigrates the Shuttle program as a busing system. I think we need to replace the Shuttle fleet and then would like to see:

(1) Increased activities on the International Space Station.

(2) A return to manned flights to the moon.

(3) A colony on the moon.

(4) Development of a primarily self-sustaining colony on the moon.

(5) Continued and increased use of probes to learn as much about space as we can.

(6) Unmanned missions to the surface of Mars and back.

(7) Manned missions to the surface of Mars and back.

(8) The establishment of a colony on Mars.

(9) The building and operation of a manned space station orbiting Mars

Etc. . .

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weird. Speaking of nukes. I may have dreamed it, but this morning I thought I heard on the radio that they're testing weapons in the Marshall islands. I used to live out in Micronesia and passed through there on the way over. I know the US still has a base on Kwajalein, I believe, and as far as I know, the people are still not allowed on the Bikini atol. But is there still weapons testing going on out there, or was I dreaming?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They need to do their whole plan about going to Mars and releasing the water there, amd then terraforming it into another earth. it would take a couple of hundred years, but now that they found water there, it is possible. If they have water they can grow vegetation, which will create a breatheable atmosphere, and bob's your uncle.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fanboy:

Just reading an article in a specialized techno science publication which said, in so many words...
The next twenty years will have more advancement in all departments, than the ENTIRE 20th Century. If I recall my history, there were no airplanes, no penicillin, no plastics, I don't think even aluminum was discovered yet; really no motorcars, no radio to speak of, no telephones to speak of, electric lights were new, no aspirin formulated yet, in fact No-to-a-lot-of-things! The mesmerizing expansion of everything in the last hundred years ago will be drawfed by events in the next twenty? Now that is just plain unthinkable...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we were kids, we had no electricity, so we had to watch television by candlelight.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It appears that things are moving in the form of a geometric progression.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B-Two, you seem to have a precision in science much like the professor on Gilligans Isle.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Prof. Braling" has a nice ring to it! click-click-click

http://www.russell-johnson.com/

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stephen Hawking and Ray Bradbury are a little behind the times. It appears that Darwin's theory of evolution has been poo-pooed for some time now, not by pro-life people, but by the evolutionists themselves. The number one popular theory of how life evolved that's been making the rounds for the past several years is not Darwin's, but something called panspermia, the belief that extra-terrestrial aliens sprinkled life amongst the universe by their long ago visits.

Well, think of it, that's one lame-brain theory that is definitely safe because there is absolutely no way whatsoever to prove it!

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
panspermia!

Think there was an actual Star Trek series? episode? or movie? on panspermia!

http://www.panspermia.org

Mind you, it's the evolutionists who are pushing panspermia.

Wonder if Bradbury or Hawking ever heard of it?

Naw! Toooo goofy!

posted Hide Post
Better get a copy of "The World Is Flat" by Thomas L. Friedman. I am half way through it and everything I thought I knew is already changing. The world will be a much different place than anyone could have imagined. The pace will become unbelievably fast, but technolgy will adapt so that the drugery is taken out of daily living and we can concentrate on new ideas and learning about our little world. It will become increasing difficult for a small group of people to control the thinking of the masses. The light of truth may yet blow down the walls of ignorance and prejudice, and we come to realize that we are but specks on this tiny ball moving through the universe. The questioning mind still seeks the creator and always will.

quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
fanboy:

Just reading an article in a specialized techno science publication which said, in so many words...
The next twenty years will have more advancement in all departments, than the ENTIRE 20th Century. If I recall my history, there were no airplanes, no penicillin, no plastics, I don't think even aluminum was discovered yet; really no motorcars, no radio to speak of, no telephones to speak of, electric lights were new, no aspirin formulated yet, in fact No-to-a-lot-of-things! The mesmerizing expansion of everything in the last hundred years ago will be drawfed by events in the next twenty? Now that is just plain unthinkable...

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is presented as the theory of evoulution is really MELIORISM, which is in direct conflict with entropy.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post