Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 33

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Lincoln:
quote:
I will see if I can track down the information I need to figure how many words our creepy proliferist is pounding out.

Jayne, Curious, what does that mean?

I just went back a few pages and I think I get it now. Stephen King? Maybe I am a hat after all, a dunce cap.

Bingo! Have you ever read the book "The man who mistook his wife for a hat"? Interesting read.
No dunce hat for you!!

quote:
Two other things, I just noticed Queen Latifa's new movie has a trolley in it, and it looks like a real trolley with electric wire attached.
The other is that Mugnaini book of art and graphics has many pictures not seen generally. Would anyone care to see a few, I could copy and post, just not sure of the interest involved. I'm seriously going to hate to return that to library. Interesting intro by Ray also.

I'm intersted in just about anything you want to post, everything I have read by you so far has been well worth my time.

Domo arigato
Mr. Roboto

Posts: 86 | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jayne:
quote:
And Jayne, don't get me started on the Math thing. My niece just sent me this deal where you say about many times out of then you think of chocolate in a day and add this number, substract this, multiply that by another and you come a three digit number: the first of which is the number of times you think about chocolate in a day and the next two are your age. How does that work. My wife said that it is simple math, a multiple of 9. Huh?

Hmmm, not familiar with the chololate "therom"
but here is a little trick, using the same formula you can recuce any number to 9.

For an example I'll use a two digit number say 84

8+4=12
12-84=72
7+2=9

5+7=12
12-57=45
4+5=9

4+3=7
7-43=36
3+6=9

posted Hide Post
Jayne,

Email me at clmi9901@msn.com and I will then give you the puzzle as it is and not to bore the rest of the board.

Chapter 31: Your barracks looked very similar to ours, although I lived in Vietnamese-built structures and got to stay for a night or so in wooden barracks.

I am convinced that housing prices in the U. S. went up due to the thousands of board feet of lumber shipped to Viet Nam for barracks, PX's, etc.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any number multiplied by 9, when adding the digits of the product, will always equal 9, e.g.
9 X 3=27, 2+7=9.
9 X 135=1215, 1+2+1+5=9
9 X 5498=49482, 4+9+4+8+2=27, 2+7=9
etc, ad infinitum...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree. This was a bit different. Perhaps I should just post it as it is not too long. Some may have some fun with it and others to explain it to me.

Your Age Buy Chocolate Math

1. Pick the number of time a week that you would like to have chocolate.
2. Multiply this number by 2 (just to be bold)
3. Add 5
4. Mulitply by 50--we'll wait until you get the calculator
5. If you haven't had your birthday this year add 1756...if you haven't, add 1755
6. Now subtrazct the four digit year you were born

You should a three digit number

The first didgit is your original number, i.e., how many times you want chocolate
The next two numbers are your AGE!

This is the only year (2006) it will ever work.

So there you have it. What is the secret?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good trick, biplane 1.

Braling II and Jayne,
I gave your concepts to some technical people at work and they were still laughing and playing with it when I left. I think you made their day.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I endeavor to give satisfaction, sir.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
Good trick, biplane 1.

Braling II and Jayne,
I gave your concepts to some technical people at work and they were still laughing and playing with it when I left. I think you made their day.

Well the one I found, I found while in a higher math coma brought on by a 10 hour proof. Just by playing with numbers in my head. I showed to to the math chair at my school, and he looked at me like a was retarded. Shrug.
Needless to say I look forwrd to grad school next fall, Kalabi-Yau manifolds, Yay!

posted Hide Post
Jayne, et. al., no one has answered my questions as to how the problem that I posted works so that the numbers come in correctly no matter what you put in.

posted Hide Post
Biplane, it has to do with the numbers adding up to 2006...try putting zero in for the chocolate-per-week...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Jayne, et. al., no one has answered my questions as to how the problem that I posted works so that the numbers come in correctly no matter what you put in.

Sorry biplane, I really haven't had a chance to go through it yet, two weeks left to graduation and all. If you can bear with me, I promise to go through it today. Thanks for posting it, be back with an answer.

posted Hide Post
No problem. I am a patient person. If you want to hear a good one. I have always enjoyed math, but it was difficult for me. I took Trig my senior year in high school and got an F the first term, and Ds all the rest.

So when I went into the service and onto Officers Candidate School, what did I get but Artillery and all that is is Math. Trig tables, etc. And, somehow, I got through it all. Later in the Army reserves, I was in the Engineer Corps and even got to be comfortable with Calculus.

posted Hide Post
As to math affinity, or lack thereof,
There are three kinds of people:
those who can count, and those who can't!

posted Hide Post
Br2, Nice! You probably remember when "new math" was the way of the future! (Where is my slide rule when I need it?)
They say the first Mars probe crashed due to a mix up in measurements, Imperial vs. Metric. The decelerating rockets were incorrectly calibrated. Thus, the need for the 2nd Expedition. (...or was it the doings of the Ancients?)

On my classroom wall:
Cartoon ~ two youth standing outside of a school, leaning against a wall. Both with books under arm, one boy is looking at a paper in the hands of the other. It has the heading "Spelling Test" on the top of it.

The caption for the clip has been spoken by the youth holding the test paper, "Boy, am I in trubbal!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THAT reminds me of a great Mark O'Donnell cartoon that appeared in Spy many years ago. In it, an astonished and artsy-looking translator is asking a beleaguered author, “Do you not be happy with me as the translator of the books of you?”