Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 33

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Jayne, how my mind works; your post led me to recall Allan Sherman's "Sir Greenbaum's Madrigal" in which he, a reluctant Jewish knight, wishes he could "give up smoting for good".

(sorry)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I of the clever words on play you have conjured.

Travelling recently (through our neighboring Adirondack Mts. where no radio wave dares to venture, it seems), we listened to numerous cd's of old radio shows: ie, the Green Hornet, Jack Benny, Lone Ranger, Suspense, Burns and Allen, Groucho (YBYL), etc. The commercials remain as a part of the original productions. The tobacco industry had a good corner of the market then. What language use ~ "soothing, calming, invigorating, clarifying, energizing and identifying."

How about this for an image: "Edward R. Murrow took a weary drag on an unfiltered Camel cigarette."

"Smoting." Yeah. I'd say!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
L.S.M.F.T!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jayne, Your right of course, its my obtuse humor, and beleive me, it gets me in hot water around here all of my own doing. I thought you were referring to something completely different, it had to do with Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. Taken in that context, we are all Gods. I meant it as a compliment. Regarding the "threatened" post, I will add some rarely seen pics later from it.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Lincoln:
Jayne, Your right of course, its my obtuse humor, and beleive me, it gets me in hot water around here all of my own doing. I thought you were referring to something completely different, it had to do with Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. Taken in that context, we are all Gods. I meant it as a compliment. Regarding the "threatened" post, I will add some rarely seen pics later from it.

Don't worry, I knew where you were going with it.
Obtuse, chartreuce, in honesty the humor, in general, I have seen on this board really is very smart. You will have no trouble from me on that score. The one's you have to look out for are the folks who take themselves too seriously, fortunatly doesn't seem to be many of 'em around this forum. I did get the reference, but idea that you would be sent on a holy mission by Jimmy the carwash attendent was too good to pass up.

Yes, post pictures, In fact I think we could add a thread that would work in addition to the "What are you reading" thread, It could be somthing like "What are you thinking" or "What are you working on"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jayne,

Posts: 86 | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jayne, you go first!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Jayne, you go first!

That sounds like a great plan!

Um, What is it I am going first at? Confused

Oh, Do yo mean the thread I mentioned? Ok, you got it, sorry, I was injured tihs week and am on some pretty serious pain killers.

Posts: 86 | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today, Saturday the 29th, in Galway, Ireland, at The King’s Head Bar, there will be a poetry competition. Whoever wins gets to go to Chicago to continue the competition. I guess bars in Ireland are not just for drinking. They’re for the playing of instruments, the singing of songs, poetry and other noble endeavors.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jayne and all the rest, sorry I didn't have time to post the pictures. I don't have a scanner, so I took with digital camera. I took about thirty pics, but I'll post my favs. Here you go. This one is called Market.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Imagemugn_009.jpg (59 Kb, 10 downloads) market

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
more...

Imagemugn_012.jpg (61 Kb, 10 downloads)

posted Hide Post
nuther

Imagemugn_019.jpg (60 Kb, 10 downloads)

posted Hide Post
so you want more...

Imagemugn_022.jpg (59 Kb, 7 downloads)

posted Hide Post
help..(said in desperate broken Shatner voice)..can't stop...my...self...

Imagemugn_036.jpg (60 Kb, 7 downloads)

posted Hide Post
tooo...late...the..hypo...derm..ic..hound...gotmerighthere......

Imagemugn_049.jpg (61 Kb, 10 downloads)