Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    POLITIC ALLEY
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 45

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITIC ALLEY
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It's fake, of course, but it does illumine how scary Bush really is.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
It's fake of course, but it does illumine how scary Bush really is.

Doug Spaulding is scary, too!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boo!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug!

Is that like in~
Peek-a... ?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
http://www.jtf.org/images/ObamaNoHandLarge.jpg

It's getting a bit stuffy in here, I think I'll open a window!

Oh lord, a physical gesture!

Quick, call the inquisitors!

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
Oh lord, a physical gesture!

Quick, call the inquisitors!

I've never understood the placing of one's hand over one's heart, either - nor do I understand the military custom of saluting the flag. It's an inanimate object. It seems at best ritual, and at worst idolatry.

And please, nothing about respect - I don't respect inanimate objects. I respect ideologies.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Meet the candidates.

Or better yet, just vote for Ron Paul.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Meet the candidates.

Or better yet, just vote for Ron Paul.

Ron Paul certainly has some good ideas, but he's also an illogical isolationist. He's the incarnation of our country's "selfish egocentric" side.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If one truly believes in the spirit of our freedoms, then showing respect for the symbols of those freedoms is hardly "idolatry!" I just moments ago returned from paying my respects for a WWII veteran with whom I had many "sit down conversations." An amazing man - the likes of which we need more in this present generation. Like my dad, he was from an era when faith, family, and country came first in all things. But, alas, those of the "greatest generation" are passing all too frequently!

Because a person shows respect by saluting the flag or bending to his knees to say a prayer in front of a headstone (for instance), does not make one an idolater. Far from it. Personally, if I did not, I would be a hypocrite. Now, that is the worst!

If respect for ideologies make one's life full, so be it. But to indicate that anyone who freely shows outward respect for our country, and the men and women who serve it - and us, is somehow a lost in the woods idolater...well, now that seems to be wanting things only one way.

I vividly remember as a very young boy going to the cemetery with my parents and caring for the family sites. Flowers, weeding, scrubbing, raking, and then a final prayer. There were two stones several yards away from my grandparents and elder relatives' resting places.

The stones belonged to a man and wife. The husband had died, according to an inscription, in Europe during the Second World War. He was only 32 years old. Located a bit out of the way and under a few large maple trees, no one ever visited nor cared for their grave sites. A single American Flag placed by a local American Legion Post marked his rest as Memorial Day was celebrated each year.

Even as that small child, I was saddened no one stopped there to pull a few weeds or to bend a knee to pray. Before we departed, I always made it a point to do so.

In recent years, there have been no flags, only weeds. However, when I visit each spring to care for my grandparents, older uncles and aunts, a sister, and father, I maintain "our ritual" of showing respect with flowers, bent knees, and some personal thoughts and prayers. To this day, I still stop by the site of that husband and wife to make their resting place look a bit more cared for, even if my efforts are meager. This year my two young boys accompanied me and maybe, just maybe, these "at best rituals," I prefer "traditions," will be continued for many years to come.

"Lest We Forget" http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/target...o/00169/00169c4e.jpg

posted Hide Post
I appreciate your kind deeds, but I certainly don't think that caretaking for plots of family or even strangers would be considered a ritual. One is simply showing respect for people.

People are a lot different than inanimate objects.

It's a beautiful story you told, by the way.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
RON PAUL would probably make a pretty darn good Fed Chairman!
Not President.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I appreciate your kind deeds, but I certainly don't think that caretaking for plots of family or even strangers would be considered a ritual. One is simply showing respect for people.

People are a lot different than inanimate objects.

So, you haven't totally succumbed to the California New Age Zeitgeist then?

It's a beautiful story you told, by the way.

I agree. More power to ya, Butch!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
So, you haven't totally succumbed to the California New Age Zeitgeist then?

The California spirit of the age? I guess not.

"Live Forever!"