Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
(And now I play the waiting game, too!)

Actually, I got that from Family Guy.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Adding the remainder of the above posting~

You add so much to the forum - please never leave again!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I never realised I was a troll.

It takes one to know one!

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 700 Club, an evangelical Christian organization, came together in front of Wall Street to pray for Divine intervention in the economy. Their plan was to pray for an economic shift over to God.

The gathering was centered around a very famous piece of art, which was made the centerpiece:

Now, wait, this looks familiar. Where have we seen this before? I remember something about---

AH! There it is.

What a depressing irony.

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, my.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug, how's this for 'waiting game fodder:

Mary was a virgin before, during, and after Childbirth.

That ought to send you scurrying to dig up Spongian heretical diatribes and quasi-scholastic rebuttals!

What's your prayer rule, by the way?
(Forgive me if I ask too personal a question.)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:

Interesting take.

quote:
That ought to send you scurrying to dig up Spongian heretical diatribes and quasi-scholastic rebuttals!

Your education was worth every penny!

quote:
Forgive me if I ask too personal a question.

I forgive you. It's what Yeshua would do.

That reminds me of a good slogan I recently heard: "What would Jesus bomb?"

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
You might get this one, a bumper-sticker reading,
"Honk 40 Times If You're Orthodox!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, another good one.

You know you're Orthodox if...

And jokes, whilst we're at it!

You see the things you can find googlin'?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Great, Doug!
Thanks!
I can appreciate all those. If you or anyone would like an explanation of any of those, let me know.

posted Hide Post
quote:
If you or anyone would like an explanation of any of those, let me know.

Sure will - we'll get you to interpret!

I get some of them considering that I studied Orthodoxism along with all my other isms, but I certainly don't pretend to know everything about it.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
I can appreciate all those.

I especially like this one:

"Your priest is married."

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug, how's this for 'waiting game fodder:

What's your prayer rule, by the way?
(Forgive me if I ask too personal a question.)

Poor Mary, all that pain for no gain.

If you really believe that I have some hot stock tips for you.

The phase "born of a vigin" wouldn't have anything to do with the constellation of Virgo would it? That might explain the reference to a virgin, as a time rather than an event.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask, per your Virgin comment and reading your other posts, I'd say, too bad you didn't listen to your Papa.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:

The phase "born of a vigin" wouldn't have anything to do with the constellation of Virgo would it? That might explain the reference to a virgin, as a time rather than an event.

There is absolutely no proof for that claim, especially because the part about Mary being a Virgin may have been added later.

And, the final nail in the coffin:

"c.1200, "unmarried or chaste woman noted for religious piety and having a position of reverence in the Church," from O.Fr. virgine, from L. virginem (nom. virgo) "maiden, unwedded girl or woman," also an adj., "fresh, unused," probably related to virga "young shoot." For sense evolution, cf. Gk. talis "a marriageable girl," cognate with L. talea "rod, stick, bar." Meaning "young woman in a state of inviolate chastity" is recorded from c.1310. Also applied since c.1330 to a chaste man. Meaning "naive or inexperienced person" is attested from 1953. The adj. is recorded from 1560 in the lit. sense; fig. sense of "pure, untainted" is attested from c.1300. Virginity is attested from c.1303, from O.Fr. virginite, from L. virginitatem (nom. virginitas), from virgo."

While the latin root word of "virgin" is related to "vergo" the Greek word for "virgin" is completely unrelated to the word "virgo".

What should be a long-ago discounted attempt at a linguistic link, as conceived by 19th century indo-european nationalists and social darwinists in favor of an Aryan Race, is not only outdated but completely unfounded.

I opened up my Strong's Concordance, and the word translated as virgin used to describe Mary is:

"Parthenos".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nico,