Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Was it a commitee formed of a plurality of different religions? Or was it a sect of pagans for the abolishing of religious symbolism in the dating of years?

No committee, I think - some folks use the one term, some use the other. It's personal preference, obviously, and there's no "rule" saying you must use it or not.

I wouldn't say that it was Pagans, either. They are a very religious peoples.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I wouldn't say that it was Pagans, either. They are a very religious peoples.

Doug Spaulding: I suggest you get right in there and fiddle with the defintion. It's not like the one you gave.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Pagans

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right - the free dictionary is way off on that definition! Guess they're worth every penny!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding, don't make me pull Dan Webster over here.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is it we miss much on earlier readings?

Re-reading a small portion of Genesis shows you how you can not realize some particular meaning until years later. Then you say, 'How didn't I see that before?' Well, you just plain didn't.

This time it had to do with why Adam and Eve were thrown out of the Garden of Eden.

I always thought, and it is commonly understood, that the reason they were thrown out is because they disobeyed God and ate the apple from the forbidden tree. But that is not what it says. I am referring to the later portion of the Third Chapter of Genesis.

This passage explains why people will never be able to, by science or ingenuity or by any earthly method whatsoever... live forever! Close reading reveals there are two (2) trees in question: the tree of life, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. God told Adam and Eve they were not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, or they would die.

So Eve eats of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and gives some of that apple from that tree to Adam. And so, disobey God. But in the later part of chapter 3, it says they were thrown out of the Garden of Eden for another reason. The answer is found in verse 22, of Chapter 3 of Genesis. It says that (and you can read it yourself if you have a Bible handy)...that God banished Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden in case they ate of that other tree...the Tree of Life. If they did that, then they would live forever! And they would live forever in a damaged state of disobedience. It goes on to say the attainment of eternal life will never be had because (verse 24, same chapter) God stationed angelic beings, and a sword flashed back and forth, guarding the way to that tree of life.

Wow! Never read it that way before.

With Christ, resumed is what there was right before Adam and Eve ate that apple. Hence, 'undamaged' access to the eternal life.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly! Years later, when you go back to scripture, you always find, discover something, see something new that you missed before, even in familiar passages that you thought you knew well. The first reaction is, where did that come from? You read something a hundred times, years later you read it again, same book from the same desk drawer, same passage, and darn, there it is, it says something new you just didn't catch before.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the above more true as I get older - certainly more so than when I was young and already knew everything!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The following quotations are from Genesis and they will baffle most of us:

Nephilim

The Nephilim were upon the Earth,
In those days and thereafter too,
When the sons of the gods
Cohabitated with the daughters of the Adam,
And they bore children unto them.
They were the mighty ones of Eternity –
The People of the shem.

- Genesis, Chapter 6

Nephilim: Hebrew NFL (“to be cast down”)
Those who were cast down upon Earth

And Elohim said:
“Let us make Man in our image,
after our likeness.”

- Genesis, Chapter 1

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask:

Phil, the Nephilim is Hebrew, meaning "giants". Here's a modern take on the passage you quoted:
"In those days, and even afterward, giants lived on the earth, for whenever the sons of God had intercourse with human women, they gave birth to children who became the heroes mentioned in legends of old."

And Elohim said:
"let us make Man in our image, after our likeness."
-Genesis, Chapter 1

Elohim is another name for God. This is one of the passages that reflect the "Trinity". The use of "our" describing God as more than one. It is a word that tho it is singular, how it is used denotes plural.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Controversial passages, those concerning the Nephilim.
I haven't really looked for or asked around for the Orthodox interpretation yet. Some consider the "Sons of God" to be fallen angels/demons, but there are conflicts with this view and the incoporeality of these beings. May look into this, maybe before, maybe after Holy Week which is a very busy time!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
patrask:

Phil, the Nephilim is Hebrew, meaning "giants". Here's a modern take on the passage you quoted:
"In those days, and even afterward, giants lived on the earth, for whenever the sons of God had intercourse with human women, they gave birth to children who became the heroes mentioned in legends of old."

And Elohim said:
"let us make Man in our image, after our likeness."
-Genesis, Chapter 1

Elohim is another name for God. This is one of the passages that reflect the "Trinity". The use of "our" describing God as more than one. It is a word that tho it is singular, how it is used denotes plural.

If Nephilm is plural, as is the usage of Goyim etc, then why isn't Elohim also plural for more than one God? That is the most intreguing of all the passages in Genesis to me.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask:
PHIL, an interest I have in scripture includes areas where something read for years is suddenly opened to an understanding we never could get a hold of before. And what an understanding and insight it usually is. It's an amazing event. As to word meanings, definitions, etc... that is something I never get really into. But, there is a website that was recommended to me that answers lots of questions because of its great search engine. You may have some time to research the number of avenues it presents. You'll find it on the left hand side of the page after you scroll down a bit...
http://www.crosswalk.com

posted Hide Post
The story of the Nephilim is fascinating! I could comment at length on it having studied it profusely, but few here would believe me, I fear, so why bother?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Controversial passages, those concerning the Nephilim.
I haven't really looked for or asked around for the Orthodox interpretation yet.

The Orthodox, Roman, and Protestant churches hope you won't ask - it's the type of scripture they try to sweep under the rug.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
If Nephilm is plural, as is the usage of Goyim etc, then why isn't Elohim also plural for more than one God? That is the most intreguing of all the passages in Genesis to me.

Me too, patrask. I can elaborate on Elohim, but not now. Remind me later.

"Live Forever!"