Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Most DANGEROUS Motion Pictures Ever
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most DANGEROUS Motion Pictures Ever
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Ah, are we hiding here?

No - working. Paying drilling reservists. Gotta love them drill weekends.

What a valuable use of government time, this. I'm serious.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, evading the questions thru prior commitment. We'll catch you later.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug and everyone, please hear my words. I never wanted religion banished from the board. I enjoy talking about it myself. If possible, it should be in a thread of its own, which could be started with the title Religion, then proceed to talk about the high cost of oranges because of Californias freezing crop, then it would naturally take a religious turn in discussion. Seriously, its going to come up periodically of its own accord, if so, go with it, if possible put it in the new religious thread. I mean, look at The End Of The World Thread, it is a story making game now, maybe the end is near. Doug, my bottom line is that I think prior to this, I was overzealous in trying to keep any particular thread on topic. That just isn't feasable. Don't stymie yourself, please.

By the way, I like the way you have carried yourself lately. Respecting you more and more.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket, it's more than what you are trying to make out of this. Naw, Doug won't be nailed down. A lot like Bradbury himself, actually. [No need to select a special highlight to thank me for that post-bite, Doug.] He'll just blow you off on a lot of topics that make the rubber meet the road on Chrisitianity. You ever hear him talk about re-incarnation? Categorizing religious talk to a religious link is the very thing Bradbury hates about how bookstores categorize his works to the science fiction aisles.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry - I'm veering off the subject of the thread (I do that a lot).

Dangerous movies, eh? Can't really think of any (others) right now. Movies are an art form, and as such, aren't really dangerous.

Of course, movies like Jackass can ill be called art, so they could be dangerous, I suppose.

But then an idiot could take anything and claim they were inspired by that thing to do something dumb (you know - kind of like blaming the 'devil' for your mistakes).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Doug and everyone, please hear my words. I never wanted religion banished from the board.

Oh, no rocket. That wasn't directed at you. It's just a personal decision I made based on the way I was (a) being treated by some folks, and (b) annoying others whom I genuinely enjoy.

If someone wants to start a "Religion" thread somewhere on this board, I may or may not contribute to it, but I won't start it.

quote:
By the way, I like the way you have carried yourself lately. Respecting you more and more.

Wow - thanks. You're too kind. I have tried to show honour lately. Glad someone has noticed my attempt. Respect right back at you, friend rocket!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Naw, Doug won't be nailed down. A lot like Bradbury himself, actually.

Thanks!

Sorry.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Categorizing religious talk to a religious link is the very thing Bradbury hates about how bookstores categorize his works to the science fiction aisles.

I gotta say: intelligent point!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Jackass" (if that's a movie now) because it contributes to people doing bad things to themselves.

Films like "Natural-Born Killers" and "The Money Train" because some of these seem to encourage sick minds to do bad things to other people.

(By the way, Ray would strongly disagree with this topic. There's a direct quote from him somewhere saying it's repression of expression, not depiction of violence, that causes real violence. Still, there are way too many real-life cases of sickos copycatting popular entertainment, particularly films. Look at "The Basketball Diaries" and others.)

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Still, there are way too many real-life cases of sickos copycatting popular entertainment, particularly films.

You're right, of course in particular. But I still say idiots will be idiots whether they have a movie to inspire them or not. They'll just look for another way to be an idiot. And find it.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Case in point: Sadaam Hussein's most favorite and inspirational movie was, The Godfather. I forgot how many times it was noted that he saw the movie, but it was more than many times.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug. Phil K., sometimes it seems as if you bait Doug and your not too pleased with the answers. Maybe he would be more forthright if you toned it down a touch. Turn off the swinging lightbulb...

Seriously Phil, not trying to rail on you, but I do detect a bit of anger a lot of times when D.S. gives you an answer and it shows that you are not satisfied with his reply.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket, the reason you sense the testiness of my postings is because Douglas is no dummy when he likes to go way over the scriptural edge. If he was driving a car, he would be in need of brakes.

posted Hide Post
Somehow, I knew you'd take it like that. Your sarcasm precedes you like Ed Begley Sr. in Hang 'Em High.

posted Hide Post
There is up and there is down; there is most dangerous and there is most undangerous.

Was anyone here fortunate enough to see “The Valley of Light” on Hallmark Hall of Fame tonight? It has been said that “Hallmark Hall of Fame is like a library in the middle of a construction site. It’s the quietest place on television”. “The Valley of Light” was such a lovely presentation. It was not written by Ray Bradbury but certainly inspired by him.

Excuse me but I have digressed. You were saying…?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post