Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Then my second guess is "And the Rock Cried Out".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bravo! This was the first RB story I ever read and still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Over to you ...

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the early 1960s, RB developed a screenplay from this story for Carol Reed (director of The Third Man). Those who have read it (alas, I am not one of them) say it is his best screenplay. I hope that he gets to publish it some day.

Ah, I've just thought of a question for Ask Ray...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PHIL:
If you haven't... post that question!!

Also, should I try to give away another Halloween poster (different number, of course)? Previous winners not eligible! (Ha!) Or wait until NEXT Halloween?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've already posted the question, Nard.

Give away any prize you like, Nard, but DON'T wait until NEXT Halloween! Too long!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
And the Rock Cried Out?

But no - this would have been in the late fifties.

Nonetheless, the answer stands.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, are you guessing the answer that's already been guessed? Or are you questioning something I said earlier?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
As best I can tell, on October 30th you won the guessing game and posted your question as:

"In the early 1960s, RB developed a screenplay from this story for Carol Reed. Those who have read it say it is his best screenplay. I hope that he gets to publish it some day."

Is this not so? I know this is not the normal way we had been playing, but read it as a question nonetheless, especially since you had not posted another question.

Please advise.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic -

I think the answer's "Mornington Crescent".

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Doug, "In the early 60s, RB developed..." was really a continuation of the answer I gave to the previous question! (About "And the Rock Cried Out").

To rectify matters, here is a proper question:

Which Bradbury story takes place in Rock Junction, Arizona, in 1961?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
philnic -

I think the answer's "Mornington Crescent".

Chortle chortle.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Sorry, Doug, "In the early 60s, RB developed..." was really a continuation of the answer I gave to the previous question! (About "And the Rock Cried Out").

To rectify matters, here is a proper question:

Which Bradbury story takes place in Rock
Junction, Arizona, in 1961?

"Almost the end of the world"?

posted Hide Post
Correct! The opening line of the story is:

"Sighting Rock Junction, Arizona, at noon on 22 August 1961, Willy Bersinger let his miner's boot rest easy on the jalopy's' accelerator and talked quietly to his partner, Samuel Fitts."

- Phil

posted Hide Post
That wasn't intended to be an answer, Phil! I was merely commiserating with poor Braling II and Dandelion.

My next hails from a story reminiscent of Somerset Maugham or maybe even Salinger?

"In and out of focus, I was on the train, then beside that pool, watching the hurt bright gaze of this man across the aisle, hearing his father thirty years lost, and watching the son, five thousand afternoons ago, wheeling and pivoting, turning and freezing, presenting imaginary arms, shouldering imaginary rifles."

Perhaps everyone's too busy with their Christmas productions to bother with this thread. Tragically, I failed the audition and wasn't prepared to be cast as 'a tree' yet again ...

posted Hide Post
ps That excerpt IS from a Bradbury story, not from Salinger or from Maugham.