Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 58

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Ray Bradbury Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Is it "By the Numbers"? (I think that's the title - the story about the boy who is given military-style drill by his father.)

(My last Xmas stage performance was nearly 40 years ago. I was an angel in the school nativity. Not just any angel, you understand, but the angel with a broom, the one that sweeps the stable.)

((In which connection, I note with sadness that Asda (UK equivalent of WalMart) now sells nativity costumes. Whatever happened to make-it-yourself?))

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it too late to say that chortle is a good word?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Is it "By the Numbers"? (I think that's the title - the story about the boy who is given military-style drill by his father.)

(My last Xmas stage performance was nearly 40 years ago. I was an angel in the school nativity. Not just any angel, you understand, but the angel with a broom, the one that sweeps the stable.)

((In which connection, I note with sadness that Asda (UK equivalent of WalMart) now sells
nativity costumes. Whatever happened to make-it-yourself?))

Spot on! "By the Numbers!" it is.

(Count yourself lucky, Phil - I played the broom. These days, angels get to use a Dyson.)

I wish you hadn't told me that about Asda. The fun I used to have with wire coat hangers ...

Your turn, I believe.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Is it too late to say that chortle is a good word?

It's never too late to say that.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's never too late...

Very well - then chortle is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
Your turn, I believe.

OK, name the Bradbury story:

"They came to a small deserted Martian villa with a good view of the valley. It was on top of a hill. Blue-marble halls, large murals, a swimming-pool. It was refreshing in this hot summer-time. The Martians hadn't believed in large cities."

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, name the Bradbury story:

'How nice,' said Mrs Bittering, 'if you could move up here to this villa for the summer.'

Dark They Were, and Golden Eyed, one of the best story titles ever.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Correct! I obviously make these too easy. Trouble is, if I pick something really obscure I will forget which story I got it from.

Anyway, your turn now, Doug.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway, your turn now, Doug.

The dog smelled just like autumn.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Surely that HAS to be "The Emissary".

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely that HAS to be "The Emissary".

Surely it does! It was the dog that gave it away.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
'Twas indeed the dog. It's one of my favourite stories. Even the version from Ray Bradbury Theater was good. ("Company!" if I remember correctly.)

So now: Name this Bradbury story:

Which Bradbury story mentions the body of Lavinia being found?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I gotta guess quick, dare to speak up and maybe not get it, and not stop to ponder and mull and cogitate and all that stuff.

My guess is "The Singing Woman".

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if you meant "The SCREAMing Woman"? Either way, good guess, but not right.

(We use to have a game show host in the UK whose catch phrase was "It's good, but it's not right!")

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
We use to have a game show host in the UK whose catch phrase was "It's good, but it's not right!"

That's funny! Leave it to the witty British.

"Live Forever!"