Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Fahrenheit 911
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 911
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Of course there are. If we explored some of the statemtns you've made and I've made, and explored them in depth without attacking each other, I think we would agree on those things as well. You would probably slide a little my way, I would slide your way, and agreement would be reached. But if in the middle you start attacking me, or I you, we would end up spirling out of control in the way that conversations have spiraled out here before.

They might be the same person; we'll see how long they (he/she) can stay appart without it just becoming too tiresome for them to do so. (By the way, I agree with most of what they (he/she) say(s), but that was obviously known already).

Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does Ray Bradbury have Alzheimer's Disease? Is his brain being eaten away? How can he possibly object to the the use of the Fahrenheit in a movie title? He does not own the word. Is he just another right-wing republican retard?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
''BigBob'':

Alzheimer victims wouldn't act the way you describe. So you're off the mark there !

'Fahrenheit 451' was first published in book form in 1953.

Just celebrated its 50th Anniversary with a special book publication. The same for the 40th Anniversary.

It is considered by libraries and editors as a true American Classic.

'Fahrenheit 451' has been published in nearly every language in the world,

Was the official pick of the book to read in the city of Los Angeles recently, and wound up on the best seller list.

Has been reprinted and re-issued scores of times, in dozens of various editions of paperback.

Often used in schools as required reading

The book title, in the book industry, is synonymous with censorship and book burning.

A major motion picture with the title, 'Fahrenheit 451' was produced by a French film director, starring Oskar Werner and Julie Christie, and shown on TV countless times, even as recently, on my TV, just 3 weeks ago..,

''BigBob'', note that ...
...no other work has ever used the word 'Fahrenheit', followed by numbers, in the history of book publishing.

That in mind, the leap from book title to movie title is not a very far leap. It's just a shuffle.

Moore named his movie Fahrenheit followed by numbers, probably because he wasn't smart enough to come up with something original. And that's possibly just the plain ol' simple reason after all...

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 06-18-2004).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No use replying to Bigbob; straight off he's being verbally offensive.

Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Translator:

' BigBob' Offensive? Naw...

Just needed a little prompting in the right direction...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I don't like right-winged republicans, I think calling them retards is offensive...I hope you're using an electric prong to herd the cattle (read Bigbob) in the right direction....
Cheers, Translator

posted Hide Post
Translator:

Actually, ''retard'' can simply mean ... to delay the progress of...

How do you find that offensive?

posted Hide Post
True...but in this case it obviously means their intellect, which is offensive in that many times it's not true...they're simply confused, not retarded...
Cheers, Translator

posted Hide Post
Translator:

Well, people are confused...often.. who have Alzheimer's. So you actually agree with BigBob....

posted Hide Post
You almost got me there.

However:

1) he asks wheteher RB has Alzhimers, implying that the man is sick and doesn't know what he's talking about.

2) He asks wheter the man is a right-wing retard, which implies he does whatever he does under the influence of his political views, not the disease.

hence, it is not true that I agree with BigBog.

QED.

Cheers, Translator

posted Hide Post
With all due respect to Mr. Bradbury, allowing a new version of "Fahrenheit 451" to be made into a film borders on heresy. The fact that this is the most potent cry in our times for the worth of the written word (as opposed to the mirrors and smoke that todays multiplexes offer us - visually stimulating, but lacking in substance) has somehow been lost. With regards to the controversy with the upcoming film from Michael Meyers, I would think that such an advocate of the written word would applaud political dissent in a free society- regardless of whether the use of the word "Fahrenheit" may or may not infringe on copyright issues. Mr. Bradbury is well reknown as a master of his genre. I would hope that the Master would allow some lattitude on the part of his subjects in the use of his Words and Ideas. If I remember correctly, the true heroes of the novel Fahrenheit 451 were those individuals who dedicated their lives to remembering books ver batem to pass on their Knowledge and Wisdom to the uneducated and unknowing. Please do not take the part of the Oppressor in this situation. Regardless of the opinions or agenda of Mr. Moore, please allow him to say what he will, if only for the principle of Free Speech.

Posts: 2 | Location: Columbus, OH, United states of America | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, is it classless to have an opposing viewpoint? And is your use of the word "classless" in reference to your view of a class system in a supposedly free society, or an indication of your supposedly superiority over people whom you feel you are intellectually and/or morally superior to?

[This message has been edited by James Thornton (edited 06-19-2004).]

Posts: 2 | Location: Columbus, OH, United states of America | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Moore said the inspiration for using the F911 actually came from an e-mail from an individual after the WTC attack. That person used the term and it seemed fitting. I agree. I would think given the subject matter in F451, and the Freedoms we have lost in our country today, especially with the Patriot Act that Bradbury would be proud that Moore has used this title. I can't believe he's are upset about this, and wondered if he was getting pressure to comment. I hope not because then F451 becomes meaningless.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thornton:

You misread my post. I never said it was classless to have a different opinion. I said it was classless to hijack a title from an author who made it clear he didn't want it used in the context in which Moore used it. That's what was classless.

In today's Dallas Morning News (June 18), it re-states that Bradbury is angry over this. The title was made famous by Bradbury and Moore is using it to drive a political agenda. This bothers Ray, as Moore took the title without Bradbury's blessing. You can certainly argue that Moore had every legal right to take it, but my own view is that, given the context, it was classless of Moore to use it. The article (a one paragraph deal) said the Moore finally called Bradbury back last Saturday, that Bradbury asked him to change the title, and that Moore told him, "...it's an awful long way down the road for that."

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 06-19-2004).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
passions:

Moore said that, about where he got the title?

Well, that conflicts with another thing he said.. that he named Fahrenheit 9/11 in homage to Ray Bradbury, since Fahrenheit 451 dealt with censorship, etc. So... which one is it?