Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Since no one can or will convince "The Christians on this board" I will not bother to try any longer. Be at peace with your religion and your God that directs you to follow what you believe is the righteous path.

Me, I just marvel at the possibilities that are afforded to Man to overcome all this pettiness and differences of opinion, strong enough to go to war over it seems, instead of supporting each other as joint participants in the life drama that is taking place on this tiny blue ball, Earth.

There can, then, only be one correct answer and you have been given it. Ah, but so has your Muslim friend over there, and he too will kill you over the idea that his Allah is greater than your God.

I pray that we as Human kind can get beyond all of this fighting over who has the answer, and realize that there are no answers, only the search for a better truth to fit the data that is our perception of the world we inhabit.

If not, then all will end in the fire and brimstone of complete collapse when the genie comes out of the nuclear bottle for the final time. One will win, one will lose, and we will all be very dead.

But you know, and your Muslim friend over there also knows, that you and he will prevail in the afterlife. Then what, a fight to the death in the afterlife?

Please, I pray to you both, come as little children and learn to accept your differences, do not quote scriptures that have no meaning, one to the other, and only serve to set up the fight we all want to avoid. We are smarter than this, Humans, and we must grow up and mature beyond the present state or perish with the other 95% of all species of life that has been on this planet and now are gone forever.

When Chaos rains, we will all get wet.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mr Trask.

To all my fellow truth-seekers: shalom - go with God.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we were all as wise as God/Allah, then why would we need God? If all wisdom were attainable, then why seek God? We could each become gods and have all wisdom and all knowledge. We are vessels of God, created in His image and likeness, and, if we allow, can become humbly filled with his spirit. Muslims, Jews, and Christians admittedly worship the same God, so there we do not disagree. The nature of our God is not so very different, only the manner or form of worship. I will ask him if he cares whether I bow my head or whether I turn toward Mecca 5 times each day. Perhaps he cares whether I celebrate Purim, Christmas, or another man-made holiday, but I doubt it. There is nothing wrong with religion as God created it, only as man has made it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Doug Spaulding ~ Great photo of a foot.

Now how about one of a head?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by teacher-learner:
Muslims, Jews, and Christians admittedly worship the same God, so there we do not disagree. The nature of our God is not so very different, only the manner or form of worship.

As a Christian, I fully disagree with you.

And it seems Jesus Christ would have a totally different answer as to your idea of who God is.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, I appreciate your reply, which nicely sums up the basic tenet of traditional Christianity. I understand what you're saying; it's pretty much what we learned in Sunday school all those years ago (I had the basic Lutheran upbringing).

However, this really doesn't shed any light on my main question. The OT God really does seem to endorse what, to my mind, are rather horrible atrocities. For instance, I don't think it is EVER acceptable or permissible, in any shape or form, to kill infants and young children. NT teachings would appear to directly contradict what appears in the OT. If God is unchanging and eternal, how is that possible?

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Dark, you said "Also, be careful not to over-characterize God in the OT as ONLY hateful. There are MANY passages of love, patience, mercy, forgiveness, etc. in the Old Testament. Be careful not to oversimplify your understanding of the Old Testament manifestation of God." Yes, I know that is true, and I don't mean to over-simplify (though on a message board of this nature the discussion isn't going to get too detailed or intellectual). But I can acknowledge the good bits, while still saying that I find the extremely negative parts very puzzling...

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
That's because it's two different gods.

I am not a subscriber to atonement theology.

Ah, Mr Doug, did you receive the response you expected, with a reply such as that? Heh, heh...

But you have made me curious. What precisely do you mean by that statement?

posted Hide Post
If I can make a general sort of observation, here...

On the religion, ruled paper, and politics threads, I've noted that some posters seem to receive a fair amount of abuse when they post their opinions. (Basically, it often takes the form of cries of "heretic!" followed by some random Bible quotes.) This sort of response may not be terribly productive, in aid of promoting an interesting discussion. I would like to suggest to everyone---heck, if someone says something you disagree with, all you have to do is reply to their post calmly. Go through each point with which you disagree, and point out any errors in rationality using logic and common sense to make your points.

Okay, I'm sounding like a totally pompous ass now--ha! But I did feel this point perhaps needs to be brought up now and again....

Whoops, totally off-topic, I see from the date on my last post that it's now December---I had completely forgotten the month was changing. So, happy December to everyone!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
I've noted that some posters seem to receive a fair amount of abuse when they post their opinions. Basically, it often takes the form of cries of "heretic!" followed by some random Bible quotes.

(raises hand)

quote:
This sort of response may not be terribly productive...

LMFAO! (That's an inside joke.)

quote:
Okay, I'm sounding like a totally pompous ass now!

No - you're sounding intelligent.

quote:
Ah, Mr Doug, what precisely do you mean by that statement?

forrestjbradbury at gmail dot com. I'm gettin' out of this thing (I think). Something about "pearls before swine". Not that I'm calling anyone here a swine, just that I'm using a parable.

Or perhaps a metaphor.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Since no one can or will convince "The Christians on this board" I will not bother to try any longer. =(Convince them that you are right and they are wrong?)

Be at peace with your religion and your God that directs you to follow what you believe is the righteous path.

Me, I just marvel at the possibilities that are afforded to Man to overcome all this pettiness and differences of opinion,
=(You understand that is your opinion, Patrask, not necessarily shared by others.)

strong enough to go to war over it seems, instead of supporting each other as joint participants in the life drama that is taking place on this tiny blue ball, Earth.
=(Again, just your opinion. Do you have any strong standings? That would be more interesting than opinions.)

There can, then, only be one correct answer and you have been given it. Ah, but so has your Muslim friend over there, and he too will kill you over the idea that his Allah is greater than your God.
=(Well, again, that's your observation and your opinion on the matter. What is it about Muslims that you figure will be harmful to others?)

I pray that we as Human kind can get beyond all of this fighting over who has the answer, and realize that there are no answers, =(No answers? What sandpile have you been burying your intellect? Again, this is your opinion that there are no answers!)

only the search for a better truth to fit the data that is our perception of the world we inhabit.–=(Obviously your opinion is at odds with a lot of other opinions. And exactly who is this "our data" refer to? American's? French? Muslims? Buddists?)

If not, then all will end in the fire and brimstone of complete collapse when the genie comes out of the nuclear bottle for the final time. One will win, one will lose, and we will all be very dead. =(Gee! Watching to many Hollywood end--time movies, Mr. Patrask)

But you know, and your Muslim friend over there also knows, that you and he will prevail in the afterlife. Then what, a fight to the death in the afterlife? -=(Get in touch with Marvel Comics. You may have a blockbuster here. Whatta you got against the Muslims? And how about those angry rioters closing down the airports during tourist Thanksgiving season? Are they fighting for the afterlife or after-flight?)

Please, I pray to you both, come as little children and learn to accept your differences, =(Now you sound like one of those hari krishnas. Or that Rodney King fellow, of let's all get along fame.)

do not quote scriptures that have no meaning, =(Ah, exactly which ones do you have in mind that have no meaning? I am sure you have selected those that have no meaning and will be happy to share those with us. We wait expectantly for your list. Of course, there won't be any!)

one to the other, and only serve to set up the fight we all want to avoid. We are smarter than this, Humans, and we must grow up and mature beyond the present state or perish with the other 95% of all species of life that has been on this planet and now are gone forever. =(How did you come up with 95%? So we are not smart enough. Is this some sort of gauge you came up with to figure out intelligence?)

When Chaos rains, we will all get wet. -(Can you be quoted on this dinty?)

The above is a mock parody on half baked accusations. Don't take it personally. If you can.
(You're next Doug Spaulding)

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Salamander:

IBID (That is Latin for Source previously cited)

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the religion, ruled paper, and politics threads, I've noted that some posters seem to receive a fair amount of abuse when they post their opinions. (Basically, it often takes the form of cries of "heretic!" followed by some random Bible quotes.) This sort of response may not be terribly productive, in aid of promoting an interesting discussion. I would like to suggest to everyone---heck, if someone says something you disagree with, all you have to do is reply to their post calmly. Go through each point with which you disagree, and point out any errors in rationality using logic and common sense to make your points.

Are you seeing the abuse as one-sided? My views have been compared to persons who owned slavery. I've seen Christians lectured because they chose to adhere to a traditional form of morality and a traditional definition of the family. I've seen the Bible slammed as narrow and outdated. Slamming has been going on both ways.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:

Are you seeing the abuse as one-sided?
No, I wouldn't say that it is all one-sided. But I would also state that I have noted certain posters who are almost invariably abusive and mean-spirited, whenever another board member posts any opinion that is contrary to their own.

Personal attacks don't promote any sort of useful interaction here. Again, if a poster disagrees with statements made here, it's simple enough to disagree by calmly spelling out the logic behind their own viewpoints.

posted Hide Post
Oh, then this must be what you all want: a nice safe bowl of oatmeal

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post