Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    R is for Rocket/S is for Space

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

R is for Rocket/S is for Space
 Login/Join

posted
When I was in 6th grade I fell ill and had to stay home from school for more than a week. I remember being delirious from high fever, chills, throwing up, etc. I just laid in bed for most of the time...miserable.

One day, my mother came back from getting me some meds and, having stopped at the library, gave me a copy of "R is for Rocket" becuase, as she said, "I saw the cover and thought you would like it". Liked it? I loved it! That book quickly became my entire world as a went from one story to the other...and then read it all over again. I asked my mother to please find another book by Bradbury and she brought home "S is for Space" which I also devoured.

After I recovered I went to the library and began reading his other works until I had read (and re-read) everything Bradbury had written.

A few years later I discovered EC comics and old-time radio and was pleased to read and listen to Bradbury's stories in other formats.

I'm now a parent with 7 year old twins who love to read. I can't wait to pass "R is for Rocket" and "S is for Space" on to them and watch their eyes light up as I'm sure mine did four decades ago.

Posts: 2 | Location: Schenectady, New York, USA, Earth | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great testimony, BM02xl!
A love story similar to one many of us could tell.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi BMo2xl, and welcome to the board. I see you are from Schenectady - where Harlan Ellison gets his ideas from!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Phil! I used to work the customer service desk at The Idea Service of Schenectady and later became a customer account manager. After a few years I burned out and left. The last thing I came up with was for Microsoft...Windows 7 was MY idea!

Posts: 2 | Location: Schenectady, New York, USA, Earth | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMo2xl:
The last thing I came up with was for Microsoft...Windows 7 was MY idea!

Well, we'll overlook that. Wink

Signed,
a Mac guy

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post