Ray Bradbury Forums
R is for Rocket/S is for Space

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/869109283

03 June 2010, 06:54 AM
BMo2xl
R is for Rocket/S is for Space
When I was in 6th grade I fell ill and had to stay home from school for more than a week. I remember being delirious from high fever, chills, throwing up, etc. I just laid in bed for most of the time...miserable.

One day, my mother came back from getting me some meds and, having stopped at the library, gave me a copy of "R is for Rocket" becuase, as she said, "I saw the cover and thought you would like it". Liked it? I loved it! That book quickly became my entire world as a went from one story to the other...and then read it all over again. I asked my mother to please find another book by Bradbury and she brought home "S is for Space" which I also devoured.

After I recovered I went to the library and began reading his other works until I had read (and re-read) everything Bradbury had written.

A few years later I discovered EC comics and old-time radio and was pleased to read and listen to Bradbury's stories in other formats.

I'm now a parent with 7 year old twins who love to read. I can't wait to pass "R is for Rocket" and "S is for Space" on to them and watch their eyes light up as I'm sure mine did four decades ago.
03 June 2010, 04:50 PM
Braling II
Great testimony, BM02xl!
A love story similar to one many of us could tell.
04 June 2010, 03:57 AM
philnic
Hi BMo2xl, and welcome to the board. I see you are from Schenectady - where Harlan Ellison gets his ideas from!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
04 June 2010, 08:51 AM
BMo2xl
Hey Phil! I used to work the customer service desk at The Idea Service of Schenectady and later became a customer account manager. After a few years I burned out and left. The last thing I came up with was for Microsoft...Windows 7 was MY idea!
04 June 2010, 10:49 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by BMo2xl:
The last thing I came up with was for Microsoft...Windows 7 was MY idea!

Well, we'll overlook that. Wink

Signed,
a Mac guy

"Live Forever!"