Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Name change

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name change
 Login/Join

posted
I really wanted to know why Mr. Bradbury changed the name of his short story, "Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed" to "The Naming of Names".
Can you lend me some insight?
I prefer the first name; infact, I almost didn't recognize the story with the name change.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was not aware of the name change. In a very recent edition of the seventh grade lit textbook I teach from, the story is still called "Dark They Were..." I do know that in several of his pieces, including "Martian Chronicles" as well as "Dark They Were...", Ray writes about people moving somewhere new and renaming everything to match their former culture/home, rather than respecting their new culture/home. (Perhaps like the "Ugly American" syndrome??)

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had the chance to look it up in a reference, like 'The Ray Bradbury Companion' by Nolan...but I always thought 'Naming of Names' was the original title, first published in the pulps....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post