Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Richard, we were traveling the other day when our older son sent a message informing us of Tony Bennett's passing. Both of our boys were young listeners of Mr. Bennett's songs while they were growing up and spending time with their grandparents. Reason! Family members of Mr. Bennett often exchanged within the neighborhoods of my boyhood hometown, which was very similar to RB's Green Town. Everyone appreciated this wonderful musical (and painting) artist's ties with the local folks.

During his childhood, Mr. Bennett shared summer visits with relatives in a quaint rural hamlet in far northern NY, which ironically is located just up the road from our home of today.

“Love what you do and do what you love." RB
"I've never worked a day in my life. I love what I do." TB

Peace!

https://www.wwnytv.com/2023/07...-north-country-ties/

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robert William Barker, from a very modest early life, hard-work family ethics, service to his Country, he moved to California to pursue his life's dream, a career in broadcasting!
"Love what you do and do what you love!"

https://people.com/tv/bob-barker-life-in-photos/

Peace!

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A truly sad day in Margaritaville as Jimmy Buffett leaves us!
https://www.jimmybuffett.com/n...my-buffett-1946-2023
Creative Musician, Author, Entrepreneur.

Peace!

posted Hide Post
Twenty-two years today........

Peace!

https://willismusic.com/wp-con...d57d60acd.image_.jpg

posted Hide Post
Though not a literary or political personalty, Mr. Brooks Robinson was One-of-a-Kind! I recall watching in my youth when he performed at the Old Yankee Stadium and the O's were visiting. Quality, true sportsmanship, intense performer, and a lover of the game: how I always considered Mr. Robinson.

He is remembered perfectly here:
https://www.mlb.com/news/brooks-robinson-dies-at-86

"Do what you love, and love what you do!"

Peace!

posted Hide Post
Science fiction and fantasy writer Michael Bishop died on November 13, 2023 at the age of 78. Mr. Bishop wrote a fine profile of Ray Bradbury, which was contained in a non-fiction collection of his essays and which provided the name for the book: A REVERIE FOR MISTER RAY. For more information on the life and career of Mr. Bishop, click on the link below:

https://locusmag.com/2023/11/m...el-bishop-1945-2023/

Posts: 2473 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Is anyone here old enough to remember the terrible date 60 years ago when John F. Kennedy, C. S. Lewis, and Aldous Huxley all passed away on the same day? I would love to hear your memories.

I was two years old and don't know where I was, but when I asked my dad he remarked that I spent a lot of time in my favorite rocking chair then. (Kind of like Kennedy.) The picture I'm using for my Facebook profile today was taken ten days before the assassination during a more innocent time. Dad was a high school English teacher and should have been at school but was home sick lying on the couch with his head wrapped in a towel. We didn't have a working TV and I doubt we even had a radio. A neighbor came in with the news and Dad started up off the couch screaming, "WHAT?" I don't know if they had school off Monday for the funeral but presumably so. Mom went to the neighbors' to watch. My sisters were four months old and I don't know if Dad stayed with us or whether we all went to the neighbors'.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, in 4th grade at a small parochial school three blocks from our home!
The principal, our strict Sister Superior, came over the classroom announcement speaker with a very solemn voice and asked all classes 1-8 to immediately and quietly move out into the hallway and to line up along the walls next to their doorways. Everyone was in our school colors: dark pants-white shirt-blue school ties; school blue dresses and white blouses. We did not need to be reminded to remain quiet, as the principal had made the request. We had never done such a departure during the day, except when fire-drill practices had us leave the entire building in a highly practiced and coordinated manner.

She walked from her office and continued through the puzzled student body saying nothing until she stopped half way down the entire hallway. A short stout women who directed things quite effectively, she was obviously unsettled. Then she informed us of JFK tragic demise.

At first, there was absolutely no noise to be heard among the more than one hundred children and teachers who had filed out of their classrooms. Immediately, however, sobs, crying, utterances, and shouts of despair filled the school.

We were scurried back into our rooms. School was cancelled for the remainder of the day and the next day as well. Such experiences remain vividly etched in one's mind and spirit....

posted Hide Post
It was during seventh grade boy's gym class. We were informed by the gym class instructor, a few minutes after the class began, that the entire class had to stay after school for disciplinary reasons because we had been so noisy and rowdy in the locker room while changing into our gym clothes. We then went through the class, and before we went back into the locker room to change into our regular school clothes, our gym class instructor told us that President Kennedy had been shot. He also said that we were no longer required to stay after school, and that we were to return to our homeroom. When we got back there, kids in the classroom were stunned, and some were crying. School was then cancelled for the rest of the day, and all pupils were sent home. It's a vivid memory I'll never forget.

posted Hide Post
Yes, I've only heard of one school that stayed in session after hearing the news, and that was the high school here in town. The principal informed the teachers who then informed the students. There was at first absolute stunned silence, then they spent the rest of the day talking about what President Kennedy meant to them. As I say, I don't know what was done at the high school where Dad was then teaching. I sometimes wonder what happened to kids in single parent homes or where both parents worked, whether they had to go to a friend's house or something, but then I guess school lets out before most work places anyway.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Science fiction author Vernor Vinge, who is perhaps best know for his Hugo award-winning novel A FIRE UPON THE DEEP, has died at age 79. For more information on his life and passing, click on the link below:

https://locusmag.com/2024/03/vernor-vinge-1944-2024/

posted Hide Post
The beautiful and talented Barbara Rush, who starred in 1953's IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (for which Ray Bradbury wrote the screen treatment) has died at age 97. David Muir, on tonight's ABC Evening News, as well as the obituary for Ms. Rush which appeared in The Guardian (which can be accessed by clicking on the link below), mentioned Ms. Rush's appearance in the film. As noted in The Guardian article, Miss Rush won a Golden Globe award for most promising female newcomer for her role in IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE:

https://www.theguardian.com/fi...ra-rush-dies-aged-97

posted Hide Post
I regret to inform you all that my wonderful mother, Grace Hotson Shields, passed away yesterday morning aged 97.

posted Hide Post
Condolences, Cori. May memories of her warm your heart for the rest of your life.

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My deepest sympathies, Cornelia. May wonderful memories provide you comfort.