New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Here we go again!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get undone, yet. What I worry a bit about is publisher Harper-Collins saying they will transfer all the postings from all the forums of the old Bradbury website. Just hope they somehow scan out the junk so the spammers don't have a foot in the door in the carry-over.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right on!!!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought this one had a barrier or filter against the onslaught. If it does not, I would talk to them about getting one pronto.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay I will.. Thanks a lot.. Smiler

But what if we just focus on the topic and not on my links below my sig.. would that be okay,? Cause if ever I will register again, I need to create another email adress again,, And I guess that is some kinda hussle..so will you jsut let me continue my name and my sig.. I will be very delighted to, if you will allow me too.. Smiler

----------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------

"Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 8 | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay with me. The links can just reside somewhere in my peripheral vision. Elucidate.

“I never let my schooling interfere with my education.” – Mark Twain

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh moderator, oh moderator...

posted Hide Post
That's funny - Robot don't like them links.

Enlighten a technically challenged soul: does the presence of links cause a greater threat of spam; and, if so, how does that work exactly?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not the links perse that I object to because many times someone wants to show you a fun site or an interrelated link to the discussion. It is the ones coming from a purely selfish and annoying angle that have nothing to do with this. It is insidious, viral, and it will multiply at an alarming rate because I have seen other websites become inundated with spam and one that some of us frequented shut down because of it. Another website that I frequent has this to say, "Please keep this a spam free zone. All spam will be removed with due haste".

It's like a blight on an otherwise perfectly good mushroom, Doug.

From Wikipedia,
Spam may mean:

Spam (food), canned meat sold by Hormel.
Spam (Monty Python), a comedy sketch involving the meat. The technological term takes its name from this sketch.
Spam (electronic), unsolicited or undesired bulk electronic messages.
E-mail spam, unsolicited emails with advertisements.
Forum spam, posting advertisements or useless posts on a forum
Spamdexing, manipulating a search engine to create the illusion of popularity for webpages.
Messaging spam ("SPIM"), use of instant messenger services for advertisement or even extortion.
Spam (computer game), to repeatedly use one weapon or tactic. This term is based on the technological meaning of undesired bulk electronic message.

posted Hide Post
One of the most famous robots in SF came from the Golden Age of the 30s and 40s named Adam Link. Two brothers named Elmo and Otto Binder wrote the stories under the pen-name Eando Binder, E and O Binder. Just a robot/link link.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
La la, la la...Elmo's world, Elmo's world.

posted Hide Post
Not to make light of the spam and the spamming and the spammers, no matter how subtle their means, their intentions are quite obvious and unwanted and therefore they themselves should feel unwelcome. Be gone!!!

If you ever have the chance to read the story "I, Robot" by Eando Binder, you should. It was obviously a huge influence on Isaac Asimov and is credited with being the first story to treat robots sympathetically. It's told as a confession/plea for understanding by a fugitive robot and reminds me a lot of Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN. You can find it in the old anthology THE COMING OF THE ROBOTS edited by Sam Moskowitz. The book is chok full of really good robot stories.

Oh, I just realized it was Earl (not Elmo) Binder.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks.

My personal favourite is the Python variety.

It's just that leahn seems sincere and I don't want to appear unfriendly, but if the links are truly potentially dangerous, perhaps the moderator could remove the links. I don't know if that technology exists.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom used to make Bisquick pancakes with a slab o' Spam in the middle. Yum!
Ever had Spam Sushi? I haven't, but I understand it's very popular in Hawaii.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C'mon guys!!! You're making me hungry with all this talk of spam.

Note: my mother would dip a slice of Spam into a beaten egg then drag it through crushed crackers and then fry it. I ate it with a spot of mustard. Now I am really getting hungry!.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post