Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    On the turntable?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 40

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the turntable?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Krainis is cool. So's Frans Brüggen. Hey, if you can dig Early Music, I've got another whole list!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I can fit this squirrelly question into this pack:

My most memorable song from the 50's is a song I can't recall anything about except a few lyrics and... most of the melody. No one ever seems to remember it, tho. Maybe one of the fine folks here might recall such a ditty.

Lyrics go:
"You mean more to me then... all the wooorrrld...
La tin dot tin daah da...la dot tin daaahh.."

That's it. And tis only the melody I have that runs in my head on a turntable of sorts....

===============================================
On an other note, Morgana King ranks supreme for me in the jazz singer
category. What I wild voice. Listen to clips online:
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Complete%20Reprise%20Recordings:1921480565

================================================

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll look for him in the store Nard. I don't recall your lyric, I'll keep my eyes peeled though.

Beety, I can dig it! When I decided to expand my musical horizon through an archaic medium, which by the way is fast becoming a new/old fad in that a lot of people are turning to records to collect and listen to rarities that are not easily just found in a cd store or whatever, it was like a train exploding through a tissue paper wall. In other words, my criteria for choosing music is either what is on the cover, the title, or info. regarding the content, or what has been suggested to me. It's hit or miss, but fortunately for me, it's mostly hit. I have found some very enjoyable music that I would otherwise have been totally ignorant of had I not taken the chance and paid my twelve and a half cents to try out. So, any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

>listening to Streisand's The Third Album

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a voice...

>much later on, listening to The Winter Consort, Paul Winter. I really, really like this. Ever hear of him? I hope I can get more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a copy of The Winter Consort!!!???
Which one? I loved the one that had the Nino Rota "Romeo & Juliet" theme on it. I think Paul McCandless was a member of that group at that time...Winter's later New Age stuff I'm not into, but those first recordings were really something.
Check out John Renbourne's "Sir John-a-lot" from around the same time!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the cover just says, The Winter Consort. The cover has various winter scene photos and a few have Paul Winter in them. Not sure if Paul McCandless actually plays on it, but it does give him credit for being in the back cover photo. Its an A&M record, copyrighted 1961, 1962. I paid 12.5 cents and it is in good condition. I want more, its fabulous, will keep an eye out for more. Song list: s.1- Allemande, Ballad in 7/8, Canta Canta Mais, The Little Train Of The Caipira, Koto Piece, s.2-Both Sides Now, Choral Dorien, Herresy, Spring, Marilla Forlorn Hope, Trotto. I make myself readily available to price lps especially clearance. They put them in a big pile in a wooden cubicle. You wouldn't believe what I got my hot grubby little hands on today. Too lengthy to write. The manager who decides what goes to clearance doesn't know the depths of music or rock in general, which I wouldn't mind it keeping up as I'm getting some awesome trickle down lps....

B-Two, I found another Winter Consort album. This one is titled Icarus and it does have Paul McCandless. I just got home from work and I'm listening to it now. It's from '72.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

posted Hide Post
Hey, Nard,
I think I may help you with your Mystery Tune, if you could indicate some of the melody, either by note name, interval, or solfege? And any more lyrics?

Meanwhile, this'll take you back:
(Listen to Sukiyaki!)

http://www.amazon.com/Billboard-Top-Pop-Hits-1963/dp/B0...7612?ie=UTF8&s=music

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Braling II,

posted Hide Post
Jethro Tull, Songs From The Wood

(Lovin' it!)

posted Hide Post
This is dedicated to the one I love, happy Valentines Day all!

The Mama's And The Papa's

California Dreamin!

per my question, thanks Ray!

posted Hide Post
Rocky, come across any more "nonesuch" LPs lately?

posted Hide Post
Also, I would be remiss were I to neglect to say "Happy Birthday Harold Arlen!"

http://www.haroldarlen.com/

posted Hide Post
Billie Holiday's version of Mr. Arlen's "Stormy Weather" ~ timeless!

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's really amazing how many popular songs he wrote.
Remember MAD Magazine's musical parody of "The Wizard Of OZ"?

posted Hide Post
nonesuch?

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post