Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Leonard Bradbury and Charles Halloway

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leonard Bradbury and Charles Halloway
 Login/Join

posted
Where was it that RB talked about his taciturn father Leonard Bradbury being the inspiration for Charles Halloway in Something Wicked This Way Comes? I can't find it in Conversations With Ray Bradbury or Bradbury Speaks. Was it in The Bradbury Chronicles, or somewhere else?

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walloon,

I remember seeing this in quite a few interviews Ray did around the time the film was released. I seem to recall that he said he didn't know that Halloway was his father until many years after writing the book. (He re-read it one day, and was surprised to find his father at the heart of the book. Of course, this may be pure RB hype!)

I have a few interviews in print from Starlog and Cinefantastique magazines from that era - I can check those if you like. I'm also fairly certain he talks about it on the commentary track on the Laserdisc (yes, Laserdisc; not DVD) of the movie.

If you can't find references in the two books you mentioned, maybe it's in Zen and the Art of Writing.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post