Ray Bradbury Forums
Leonard Bradbury and Charles Halloway

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/7441023672

11 December 2006, 09:31 PM
Walloon
Leonard Bradbury and Charles Halloway
Where was it that RB talked about his taciturn father Leonard Bradbury being the inspiration for Charles Halloway in Something Wicked This Way Comes? I can't find it in Conversations With Ray Bradbury or Bradbury Speaks. Was it in The Bradbury Chronicles, or somewhere else?
12 December 2006, 01:41 AM
philnic
Walloon,

I remember seeing this in quite a few interviews Ray did around the time the film was released. I seem to recall that he said he didn't know that Halloway was his father until many years after writing the book. (He re-read it one day, and was surprised to find his father at the heart of the book. Of course, this may be pure RB hype!)

I have a few interviews in print from Starlog and Cinefantastique magazines from that era - I can check those if you like. I'm also fairly certain he talks about it on the commentary track on the Laserdisc (yes, Laserdisc; not DVD) of the movie.

If you can't find references in the two books you mentioned, maybe it's in Zen and the Art of Writing.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter