Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Teacher looking for "Fireman"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teacher looking for "Fireman"
 Login/Join

posted
I am a teacher who is reading 451 with the class. My students have asked me to find the Fireman so that we can compare the two. Is this story still in publication? I appreciate the help. Please email me at keven345@yahoo.com with help. Thanks again.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to a previous discussion that indicates you MAY be able to find it.
Good luck!
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791...631067901#2631067901

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RE: Posted 01 March 2005 01:26 PM

A few weeks back I had a similar request concerning locating a copy of the story which has never been collected in any of Mr. Bradbury's works (as it first ran). However, I did do a search via a regional library electronic system and have (in front of me as I type) a copy of "Science Fiction Origins" by William Nolan and Martin Greenberg (Fawcett Popular Library, NY, 1980). ISBN0-445-04626-0
(The story runs about 55 pages from paperback size pages.)

Anthology includes:
Fireman-Ray Bradbury
The Day of the Perky Pat-Philip Dick
The Fasterfaster Affair-Wm. Nolan
Hopper-Robt. Silverberg
He Who Sails-Roger Zelazny
Malice in Wonderland-Evan Hunter
Guardian Angel-A.C. Clarke

Occasionally e-bay has a copy up for bids from the Galaxy pulp s.f. magazine of the early 50's. They can be expensive.

Keven:
Speak with your always friendly librarian. I bet he or she will have the requested story in your hands post haste! Good luck.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another "proto-451" story is "Bright Phoenix",
which you can also search for on this site and/or at your local library.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This won't help you much right now, but Gauntlet Press is releasing a collection of Bradbury stories related to FH451 next fall. It will be called "Match to Flame:The Fictional Paths to Fahrenheit 451" and the main piece will be "The Fireman". Here is the link...
http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perl...l&ORDER_ID=262157928

Posts: 3 | Location: Lawrence, KS | Registered: 24 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury's "The Pedestrian" has also been cited by Ray himself as a source for F451. "The Bright Phoenix" and "The Pedestrian" are both available in:

BRADBURY STORIES: 100 OF BRADBURY'S MOST CELEBRATED TALES. Ray Bradbury. HarperCollins, NY. 2003.

The book is widely available.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm bumping this one up. I just got an e-mail from Amazon.com about the upcoming release of the book Sideshow mentioned two posts back. The notice said that since I have previously purchased Ray Bradbury books from them, they thought I might be interested in placing an advance order for "Match to Flame: The Fictional Paths to Farenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury and edited by Donn Albright. The description sounds intriguing--all the stories, including "The Firemen," that led up to the novel, so we will be able to see the progression of his ideas over a period of years. It's 400 pages long and costs $110. At first I was stunned by the price, but as I read the description I began to seriously consider buying it. It is autographed by Ray and will be published nowhere else ever again. I have to give it some thought, but I just might do it. I may be eating mac and cheese for a few months, but what the heck??!!??

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post