Ray Bradbury Forums
Teacher looking for "Fireman"

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/5781035861

15 November 2005, 06:49 AM
keven
Teacher looking for "Fireman"
I am a teacher who is reading 451 with the class. My students have asked me to find the Fireman so that we can compare the two. Is this story still in publication? I appreciate the help. Please email me at keven345@yahoo.com with help. Thanks again.
15 November 2005, 06:58 AM
Braling II
Here's a link to a previous discussion that indicates you MAY be able to find it.
Good luck!
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791...631067901#2631067901
16 November 2005, 11:32 AM
fjp451
RE: Posted 01 March 2005 01:26 PM

A few weeks back I had a similar request concerning locating a copy of the story which has never been collected in any of Mr. Bradbury's works (as it first ran). However, I did do a search via a regional library electronic system and have (in front of me as I type) a copy of "Science Fiction Origins" by William Nolan and Martin Greenberg (Fawcett Popular Library, NY, 1980). ISBN0-445-04626-0
(The story runs about 55 pages from paperback size pages.)

Anthology includes:
Fireman-Ray Bradbury
The Day of the Perky Pat-Philip Dick
The Fasterfaster Affair-Wm. Nolan
Hopper-Robt. Silverberg
He Who Sails-Roger Zelazny
Malice in Wonderland-Evan Hunter
Guardian Angel-A.C. Clarke

Occasionally e-bay has a copy up for bids from the Galaxy pulp s.f. magazine of the early 50's. They can be expensive.

Keven:
Speak with your always friendly librarian. I bet he or she will have the requested story in your hands post haste! Good luck.
16 November 2005, 11:53 AM
Braling II
Another "proto-451" story is "Bright Phoenix",
which you can also search for on this site and/or at your local library.
16 November 2005, 08:56 PM
Sideshow
This won't help you much right now, but Gauntlet Press is releasing a collection of Bradbury stories related to FH451 next fall. It will be called "Match to Flame:The Fictional Paths to Fahrenheit 451" and the main piece will be "The Fireman". Here is the link...
http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perl...l&ORDER_ID=262157928
17 November 2005, 05:57 AM
Mr. Dark
Bradbury's "The Pedestrian" has also been cited by Ray himself as a source for F451. "The Bright Phoenix" and "The Pedestrian" are both available in:

BRADBURY STORIES: 100 OF BRADBURY'S MOST CELEBRATED TALES. Ray Bradbury. HarperCollins, NY. 2003.

The book is widely available.
19 June 2006, 04:35 PM
lmskipper
I'm bumping this one up. I just got an e-mail from Amazon.com about the upcoming release of the book Sideshow mentioned two posts back. The notice said that since I have previously purchased Ray Bradbury books from them, they thought I might be interested in placing an advance order for "Match to Flame: The Fictional Paths to Farenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury and edited by Donn Albright. The description sounds intriguing--all the stories, including "The Firemen," that led up to the novel, so we will be able to see the progression of his ideas over a period of years. It's 400 pages long and costs $110. At first I was stunned by the price, but as I read the description I began to seriously consider buying it. It is autographed by Ray and will be published nowhere else ever again. I have to give it some thought, but I just might do it. I may be eating mac and cheese for a few months, but what the heck??!!??