Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Did the times influence the Bradbury or did Bradbury inspire the work?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did the times influence the Bradbury or did Bradbury inspire the work?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I agree with biplane1. Your post (and your earlier posts in this thread) show that you are battling, debating with your material. It is precisely by doing this that the material becomes your own, and your essay will be yours. It will be much the richer for it, especially compared to your classmates who will have skated on the surface of the subject (or - horror! - downloaded a stock essay off the web).

Don't give up hope, atroposmar! Go back to the beginning of the thread and see how the board regulars have tried to help. Where you agree with what they said, take that as validation of your view. Where you DISagree with what they said, take that as a debate that you can incorporate into your essay.

This 'veteran board member' wishes you well.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, you two for the encouragement. Also, thanks again for Conversations with Ray Bradbury, which I read a bit over the holidaySmiler. It seems everybody is more confident in what I'm doing than myself, for I just got my secondary sources, which I did very well on..Thanks.

PS- If anyone of you possess a video documentary on Bradbury, I would really appreciate if you could possibly share it with me. I got a presentation coming up, and that not something that I enjoy to do at all so any time that could be taken off me would be greatly appreciated. Anyways, thanks!

PPS- Yes, I'm keeping this thread alive!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: atroposmar,

Posts: 63 | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Ray's just a guy who wrote really, really good stuff...and was able to do sci-fi that resonated with the real nature of man, rather than relying heavily on the 'science' in science fiction.

He was always going for the human angle, something a lot of the Golden Age sci-fi writers did NOT do. They did a lot of science-based, extrapolate about the future, or space opera. Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by atroposmar:
...If anyone of you possess a video documentary on Bradbury, I would really appreciate if you could possibly share it with me...

I have some, but it wouldn't be as easy to get them to you as it was to send that PDF file! However, have a look on YouTube - there are a few short Bradbury pieces on there which might be useful.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic, I have to respond to your previous post on another page, this forum, where you said that indeed you see, concerning the posts about atheists. So let me ask you, (I am interested) how exactly do you look at a verse in scripture like this, where Christ said, "Unless a man be born-again, he cannot even 'see' the Kingdom of God." ?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Atroposmar, say, contact me by my email address as I may have a lead for you on a video. Email me at clmi9901@msn.com.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
philnic, I have to respond to your previous post on another page, this forum, where you said that indeed you see, concerning the posts about atheists. So let me ask you, (I am interested) how exactly do you look at a verse in scripture like this, where Christ said, "Unless a man be born-again, he cannot even 'see' the Kingdom of God." ?

Phil, I don't really want to fill the board with religious discussion (I usually stay out of the many such discussions that arise on here, partly because I don't find them interesting, and partly because I suspect I am outnumbered by Christians!)

However, since you ask, here is my honest answer to your question. It is a quotation from a book. I can agree with it, disagree with it, find it meaningful, or find it meaningless (and will make a judgment on the basis of various factors: what it means, if anything; whether it makes sense; who said it; whether it is an accurate quotation; who is doing the quoting; what their motives are in quoting it; what context it is quoted in etc).

Since I do not believe there is a God, I find the quotation in the verse to be literally meaningless. Notice I do not say it is wrong, nor do I say that I disagree with it. I say that it is meaningless; in the sense that A.J.Ayer defined (in Language, Truth and Logic).

You did ask!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil, thanks for your answer. Appreciate taking the time!

I'd say this thing called born-again is something like putting on 3D glasses. Something like hearing stereo for the first time. A little bit like seeing the Grand Canyon in Arizona for the first time. A bit like a moment out of childhood you recall with great fondness and love. The grit and grime of daily life is still there, but it's colored with seeing things profoundly different for moments here and there. So differently, in fact, that it changes you ultimately, into the quality of what you are seeing.

I just gave you a super Reader's Digest condensed version of a Reader's Digest super condensed version. I hope the term is no longer entirely meaningless .

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EVERYTHING has meaning (even if relatively or subjectively; and the age-old question in the Bible was never "God or no God", but "True God or the idol" (q.v. aforementioned Hopko quote).

Phil - unrelated (I think!) question:
Know a good source for the Quatermass & The Pit you mentioned earlier? All I can find is the Hammer one.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Astroposmar,

I did a video of Ray giving his standard talk about his life. Please email me directly and I'd be glad to send you a copy. Please but Ray Bradbury in the subject line so that I can catch your response in my spam filter.

jkt@earthlink.net

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...what their motives are in quoting it...

I find this is one of the most important things in gaining a true understanding of scripture.

Not so much their motives in quoting it (I can filter out such modern-day hodge-podge), but primarily the motives in originally writing it!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II: not every utterance has meaning, not in the strict sense Ayer defines.

Quatermass and the Pit - if you can play Region 2 DVDs, get the BBC Quatermass Collection from Amazon UK. Here is a direct link. All three original Quatermass series have been superbly restored. Quatermass and the Pit looks absolutely stunning for its age, now its been restored.

Doug Spaulding: Agreed, should have included that myself.

Apologies to atroposmar for his thread being hijacked again!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Ta very much, Phil! I'll look into it.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all the help.

posted Hide Post
Hello everyone. I know I already asked this question, but I'll emphasize my point better. Does anyone have any videos, which they could send me relating at all to the theme of technology? For example, any recorded videos of Ray Bradbury Theatre such as the Veldt, Marionnets, Inc. and the Pedestrian. This would be very appreciated if I could get a hold of something so I have something original to present with.

Also, some factoids would be nice to include in the presentation if anyone is interested in offering.

Thanks.