Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Did the times influence the Bradbury or did Bradbury inspire the work?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did the times influence the Bradbury or did Bradbury inspire the work?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Half.com http://search.half.ebay.com/Ray-Bradbury_W0QQsortZ88QQs...booksQQsubmitZSearch lists hundreds of Bradbury titles starting at 75¢!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MANY points to Doug for the great quotes and the profundities! Being the waffler I am, I'd like to amend "writing the wrong thing" to possibly "taking the right thing in the wrong direction."

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
MANY points to Doug for the great quotes and the profundities!

Profundities is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Being the waffler I am, I'd like to amend "writing the wrong thing" to possibly "taking the right thing in the wrong direction."

That would be a step in the right direction!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That applies, especially to longer works, when the "block" isn't the whole WORK, but just one particular ASPECT of the work--it shouldn't have to mean toss the whole thing because you got stuck on one part.

posted Hide Post
Atroposmar: Nard and Doug Spaulding are in awesome positions where they live in the LA area and can visit with Ray, either in his home, or at book signings, his plays, etc.

Over the some 39 plus years that I first met him I have been at his home four times and it would have been five when I was out last to visit my son and his family as Ray said to stop by "around four on Saturday." But, alas, that was not to be as my daughter-in-law was nursing our newest grand daughter and the drive from Portola Hills to the Cheviot Hills would have been too late and he had people coming from New York to see him the next next day.

Quite a few years ago he gave me his telephone number and, as I have mentioned, I do call him once in a while and he has never seemed to have minded. In fact he always seems very happy to hear from me when I say "It's Michael calling from Ft. Lauderdale." He has an aunt, the widow of his uncle Bion (yes, his Aunt who lives with cousins in Boca Raton, just north of here).

Although others have seen these, I am posting a couple of notes from Ray from a couple of years ago that you might find interesting. Also, a couple of photos. I apologize to the regulars who have been exposed to these before.

And I am sorry about not responding, but it was late here in Florida and I had to hit the hay. Where do you live by the way?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

ImageNotes_From_Ray-2.jpg (93 Kb, 11 downloads)

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some reason only one attachment can be made with each posting, so here are a couple of photos from ten years ago when we visited Ray.

ImageRay_and_the_girls.jpg (35 Kb, 13 downloads)

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another one of Ray sitting across from me.

ImageRay_Bradbury_At_Home-1996.jpg (186 Kb, 10 downloads)

posted Hide Post
And, Ray and myself. And I apologize for the poor photo as my daughter Cathy, who is now a professional photographer, took the shot without setting the F stop properly, but that is me on the right.

ImageMichael_and_Ray-1996.jpg (189 Kb, 17 downloads)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
And, Ray and myself.

Nice academy award on the mantel there.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
He seems very good to his fans... its hard to fathom how he just invites people over. I reside in Canada, which is contrary to popular belief because we do not have snow on christmas so those with preconceived notions that we live in igloo's are inane. So, you live in Ft. Lauderdale...my father does exporting in Miami and motels it in Ft. Lauderdale Inn if you know of it (small world).

PS- Philnic, I'm still awaiting your christmas present you offered earlier. Big Grin

Posts: 63 | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane:

Took a couple moments to fiddle with that photo of you and Bradbury. If I knew more about how to mess with this program, I'd probably get a better photo. But here's one...

ImageBIPLANE_photo.jpg (212 Kb, 19 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is AMAZING how open to people, generous, and loving Ray and his friend Forrest J. Ackerman are! Much as I hate to say it, I think a lot of it is a generational thing we won't see again.

posted Hide Post
Nard, WOW! How did you do it? Photo Shop? Doug Spaulding, there is a story behind the Oscar. When I was there I was just taking photos and really didn't notice the Oscar until back home in MInnesota and looking at the one of Ray and myself.

One day when I called, Marguerite answered and I asked her about it, as I knew he had won an Emmy for Halloween Tree but knew of nothing resulting in an Oscar. She mentioned that a neighbor, who had been a cinematographer on the original movie "King Solomon's Mines," had won the Oscar and on upon his death had bequeathed it to Ray.

No doubt his formal living room is some what more crowded with the additional awards he has received in the past 10 years.

Atropasmar, I am not familar with the Ft. Lauderdale Inn, but we live just west of Ft. Lauderdale in Sunrise.

posted Hide Post
atroposmar and Doug Spaulding: the PDF file of Conversations With Ray Bradbury has been emailed to you both. Sorry for the delay - it's been very Christmas just lately!

biplane1: that cinematographer must have been Robert Surtees (Oscar for the 1950 film).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post