Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Did the times influence the Bradbury or did Bradbury inspire the work?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did the times influence the Bradbury or did Bradbury inspire the work?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Your grassiness,
I think this came up before, but wasn't there a play about Huxley, Lewis and Kennedy having a discussion - Between Heaven and Earth, maybe?

Also, too tired now to research, but I seem to recall Lewis and H.G. Welles going at it...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a great scenario. I would have loved to have seen Robert Altman or the more heavyhanded Sidney Lumet bring such a meeting to the bigscreen.

Perhaps it was Wells he raked across the coals.

Another thing I like about C.S. Lewis is that great quote that went something like, "You can't understand anything or anyone until you stop hating them." Those are words to live by. Still, I'm not crazy about the guy.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the novels, but I'm basing my opinion soley on the movie adaption, which seemed very contrived. I did particularly enjoy the CG in the movie, but at the core it seemed average (terrible was the wrong word). As for the author, his history does not matter nor will it alter my opinion of the movie because in the end it's the story that is important. The movie seemed to aspire to be epic, but many scenes were just so corny that they almost made me laugh (particularly the scene where the lion dies). I'm sure the book is great, but perhaps it is its childish nature that doesn't appeal to me. I enjoy the Harry Potter movies a lot though, so take it as you wish. The Chronicles of Narnia could have been amazing, but there was just too many scenes that were dreary or inane.

Posts: 63 | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by atroposmar:
I'm sure the book is great, but perhaps it is its childish nature that doesn't appeal to me.

Lewis, in a dedication of one of his books to a young lady, said "one day you'll be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."

I'm one of the lucky ones who never had that bad patch when I didn't want to read them.

quote:
The Chronicles of Narnia could have been amazing, but there was just too many scenes that were dreary or inane.

Narnia was amazing - both in its staying true to the book and in its look. It was a wonderful, powerful film. That's the first time I've ever heard it referred to as 'inane'.

Looking forward to the next six!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To each your own. I'm not going to argue whether or not you enjoyed the film because in the end opinions are subjective. I think I will check out the book though... Anyways, Happy New Year!!! Hope everyone has a great time.

posted Hide Post
I'm always fascinated by atheists. They just can't see. But not just can't see, but not see at all. This is a significant difference from someone who is blind. If I am blind, there may be hope that I can get back my sight thru some magnificent intervention. To be one who can't see at all, means that the prospect of intervention beyond understanding is not evident, it does not exist.

atroposmar, I do hope you do not fall into the last category.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the contrary: we see clearly; very clearly indeed!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You ever talk to a man blind from birth? If you ask them what it would be like to see, they can't tell you. If you try to explain a little to them, they may get a concept of it. At least they are open to what it may be like because they live in a world where they know for fact that something exists that they do not experience. Same here. You live in a world where something exists that you do not experience. Unfortunately, you can't put your finger on it, with so many ideas floating around, so you relax with the notion that nothing exists, that the cause of everything can never be traced to a no-cause, because then that would be opening to the door to something called, perhaps, God, where, without the no-cause, nothing would exist.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, yea, verily.
I feel I should reiterate what Fr. Thomas Hopko often says, "...I ask them [college kids] to tell me about this "God" you don't believe in, and 10 times out of 10 I don't believe in him either!"
It is (unlike blindness) really a choice; and really idolatry, i.e. believing in something one has replaced with (or tries to replace with) the true God.

But, I will start the New Year by quoting again Philo of Alexandria:
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

I hope 2007 A.D. is good to all!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by atroposmar:
I think I will check out the book though...

Great - hope you enjoy it.

Have a happy year!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100th reply on this thread, would you believe?

It's giving us all an idea of how ideas run away on one.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol... yeah, who would have thought that my thread would have amounted to anything. Have a Happy New Year!

posted Hide Post
"Everything's hanging on a thread."
Somebody said that long time ago.

posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... I was just going over my notes that I have collected of Bradbury before I hit next period, which is English, and I can't seem to make the connection. Consider the thread title and what I have submitted to this thread...how can I incorporate the themes of the short stories I have read and the obvious thesis which is whether or not times influenced Bradbury or did Bradbury inspire the work? Sorry, to be a burden, but I think this essay is pointless as why would I need to know about the themes if I were to write an essay on what is asked. I believe Bradbury is influenced by his life and times, but I know an english teacher wouldn't see eye to eye with me on that thesis. I acknowledge that the themes lead to connections to the times, and some to his, but how am I to write a complete essay on just that... how do I structure something like that--3 body paragraphs of what? Anyways, I don't expect anyone to respond to this because I understand entirely how everyone seems to loathe users who try to use this site. Sorry for the lengthy rant....the essay just has me very annoyed.

posted Hide Post
Hey Astroposmar, your paragraph here shows incite into the quandry you are in regarding your essay. It may very well be that there is a different slant to each story as how it may have been influenced by Ray's background and yet another has Ray putting his own vibe on a topic.

And therein, is your essay, i.e., what you feel is the theme or thesis of the story. It may not be what someone else thinks, or even what Ray might think today (believe me, I have asked him about something on a story and his one reply was "How would I know?" in that he had written it so many years before) but what your interpretation is. And isn't that what the whole assignment is about, for you to put down on paper what you think?

I think that you will find that many of the Board posters are willing to help, but only after a person has delved into a story and attempted to draw something out of it.

Believe it or not, you almost have your essay completed. Just flesh out your thoughts as they pertain to each story and you may surprise yourself as to how good the essay sounds.

I wish you the best and I am sure that the other veteran board memebers wish you the best as well.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post