Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Did the times influence the Bradbury or did Bradbury inspire the work?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did the times influence the Bradbury or did Bradbury inspire the work?
 Login/Join

posted
So, I have to do an assignment of Ray Bradbury, and must decide whether or not the times in which he wrote the work inspired him or was it something that happened to him that inspired the work. The works I have choosen are the following: The Other Foot (1951), Zero Hour (1947), The Visitor (1948), Kaleidoscope (1949), The Man (1949). Oh ya, I'm not the greatest historian so if anyone knows of any key historical events that took place around these dates that would be great. Obviously, I don't expect anyone to do the research for me, but if any of you remember anything it would be very appreciated. The problem is making the connection, but once it is made it is easy to connect the dots and draw a conclusion. Anyways, Thanks.

Posts: 63 | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, you could look at events starting around 1938 and the big panic caused by Orson Welles's adaptation of H. G. Wells's "The War of the Worlds." People were worried about a huge air attack. Guess what--a few years later there was one. Look at the fears of enemies during the WWII years and of invasions such as communism following.

In my opinion, "The Visitor" is just a riot to read now. I suppose the people who made the movie "Independence Day" thought they were being very original. And here that very plot was old when this story was written!

"Kaleidoscope" is simply amazing considering that NO space travel had taken place at the time it was written. And I was critical of "The Other Foot" when I read it in the 1970s, considering it outdated, but reading it again after learning more about the Civil Rights movement which began several years after the story was published, and looking at race relations in America today, again all I can say is amazing.

In the end, all of them, including "The Man," are primarily stories of HUMAN NATURE and the reaction of HUMAN BEINGS to a given set of circumstances. So the answer is both: the way Ray reacts at a given time, and the given times to which he reacts.

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot...this whole assingment has caused much trepidation for it seems near impossible to find in-depth biographical information on Bradbury. The problem is that I cannot find quotes or experiences that are significant enough for research. I read that HG Wells was an inspiration to Bradbury, but that is not enough. If you know of anything of any place that offers this do tell because I only have until tomorrow to hand this in... Lastly, my biggest problem is trying to figure out what inspired both the man and the visitor. You have any ideas?

posted Hide Post
PS - I think you got the wrong idea of what the Visitor is about because it has nothing to do with aliens. It is about humans using Mars a quarantine for those that have developed a debiliating diesase known as blood rust where they are to simply stay there till they die because it is highly contagious and uncontrolable. A new exile arrives on Mars with an extraordinary gift that can enable the exiles the ability to experience their dreams. Ultimately, the exiles kill this individual due to their own gluttony and are doomed to die without dreams. Anyways, got any ideas of what may have inspired Bradbury?

posted Hide Post
Sam Weller's biography, "The Bradbury Chronicles," may give you some tie-ins.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem is that all the libraries around this region do not have the sam weller or the jerry weist biograph that was written about Bradbury. Thanks though.

posted Hide Post
The problem is no one wants to use THIS website's SEARCH box. And about 4 or 5 hours of digging thru old posts. Just about everything you need to know and probably more is right here. If there is a Barnes and Noble Bookstore nearby, go in, get a paperback copy of Weller's biography on Bradbury, and a cup of Starbuck's style B&N coffee, find an empty seat somewheres, and dig in. Good grief, hundreds and hundreds of people with thousands and thousands of posts have gone thru this board with tons of info. If that is too much work, well, go fly a kite. You may re-discover electricity.

Big Grin ~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ Confused ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈~~~~~ Eeker

http://www.catchaway.com

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen! Love those smilies by the way! I get like that every now and again, but then I loosen my belt and it usually passes before I explode like the Grinch. Just kiddin' Nard.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I had "The Visitor" mixed up with "The Concrete Mixer." That's the one in which a Martian visitor describes reading earth fiction with plots remarkably similar to "Independence Day"--one lone hotshot American saves earth from massive alien invasion.

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nard Kordell for enlightening me about the extraordinary ability the search engine can provide for me had I known what I'm looking for. Thanks for the extensive help, oh and thanks for reminding me that I can drive an hour out of town to retrieve the biography in which you speak of. If you had given the chance to read some of my posts then you would know that i had addressed the issues you speak of. How's that kite working for you? Anyways, if anyone knows of any connection between Joesph Maccarthy and Bradbury plz tell... I'm not asking for research just if you know something plz share so I can minimize on the research. Anysways, thanks again Nard Kordell and patrask too for following in suite with Kordells ignorant post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: atroposmar,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Sorry, I had "The Visitor" mixed up with "The Concrete Mixer." That's the one in which a Martian visitor describes reading earth fiction with plots remarkably similar to "Independence Day"--one lone hotshot American saves earth from massive alien invasion.
Ya... i never got to read that which sounds interesting.. Anyways, I want to thank you again for your benevolence which seems non existent in the other two users (this is the resources forum)... Do you know of anything in history that may have inspired Bradbury to write it... I wish I access to that biography Frowner

posted Hide Post
atroposmar:

If you would have stopped grumbling about how difficult you have it and tried to act like an adult, and read some of the post of others here, you would see that your complaints are out of line.

You can't drive an hour? Oh, you poor thing! There are people online here that drive hours to work everyday. Even my daughter drives 145 miles round trip to work each day. No Barnes and Noble? Gee, there's www.abebooks.com that'll find you a cheap Weller book.

Let's face it. You just want a cheap way out of a little bit of reasearch on your own. And there's no call for dragging patrask into yout tantrum. Grow-up.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow... why are you acting so belligerently? You're under the assumption that I'm an adult and that I have access to vehicle... I see ignorance is a vice of yours. I cannot comprehend why you insist to make a deal about this and in a vaccous manner. Its not like I'm pleading for people to do my research...I'm simply asking if they recall anything then could they possibly enlighten me. As said, I know a vestige amount about history for it has always been dreary to me. Anyways, I'm glad your daughter drives 145 miles to work each day...perhaps we should nominate her for the noble prize since she is so well adept with her current living conditions. The only tantrum I see is from the callow geriatric who feels obliged to make things difficult. Its simple you either can help or you don't. A simple "you can find what you are looking for using the search engine here" would have sufficed. No, you have to take it upon yourself in an attempt to deride my sincere pleads for help. Thank you for your sincerity, now the child in me hopes your daughter the worse during her next 146 mile drive to work.... you brought this upon yourself. (And I'm well aware that users probably will no longer assist me in anyway after this post).

posted Hide Post
Calm down, Nard. Atroposmar is obviously new to the board and needs some help. By the way, about that link to a Weller book, I see that there are a bunch of hardbacks on sale for as little as a buck. Now that's a deal. I could never relax at a Barnes and Noble and read a book. I always feel someone's going to tap on my shoulder and demand I buy the book or magazine that I am reading.

Reading the above posting by Atroposmar indicates she has a streak of anger. What's the point of striking out against your daughter?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vaccous?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post