Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    On This Day in History
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On This Day in History
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
So (if I have been following this thread properly), the Beatles were drummerless for 3 days.

(Although McCartney played drums on a few tracks later in their career.)

Three whole days, when they were not their "best." Wink (groans allowed)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Beatles did some good work even when they weren't all there. Let's see, "Yesterday" is just Paul (John, Ringo and George were out shopping or something). "The Ballad of John & Yoko" is just John and Paul (with Paul playing the drums).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the Beatles had a sort-of reunion in 1994/1995, they made a few recordings without John, of course - which everybody thought was sad and ironic.

And yet, the last time the Beatles laid down a vocal track for one of their songs during their "proper" career, in January 1970, it was also just Paul, George and Ringo who were present. Spooky, that.

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Between those two events, though, John & George & Ringo had played together a few times (i.e. Beatles without Paul) on live and studio projects. Not so spooky!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spooky in that John was the missing one, and when they finally got back together after almost a quarter century, John was the missing one again.

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Never fading with the sunset.

Yes, I remember exactly where I was when I heard, and taking a nap and then sitting up all night to watch the funeral.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Ronald Reuel Tolkein left us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ten year old Barney Flaherty became the first newsboy in America on this day in 1833. Ray followed many years later.
;

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Ten year old Barney Flaherty became the first newsboy in America...

What did they have before?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Ten year old Barney Flaherty became the first newsboy in America...

What did they have before?

The Town Crier?

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
The day the music was born: Buddy Holly.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
46 years ago: STAR TREK premiered. Have a play with today's Trek-themed Google Doodle!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Forty-six years ago today, George's episode The Man Trap opened a series which would go on to have a small effect on pop culture.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct. It turns out Google put up the STAR TREK doodle a day early!

- Phil