Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    On This Day in History
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On This Day in History
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Actually, it premiered in Canada two days earlier, September 6.
Pardon me, while I go "get a life".

Live Long and Prosper!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, here's something that happened yesterday: Walter Koenig received his Hollywood star on the Walk of Fame.

(I'm hoping jkt or Doug Spaulding can tell us where Walter's star is relative to Ray's star.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Well, here's something that happened yesterday: Walter Koenig received his Hollywood star on the Walk of Fame.

http://projects.latimes.com/hollywood/star-walk/

Walter is across the street and a block away from Ray.
(I'm hoping jkt or Doug Spaulding can tell us where Walter's star is relative to Ray's star.)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fifty years ago today JFK announced the Space Race.

http://www.weather.com/news/50...nedy-speech-20120911

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"We choose to go to the moon [...] and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

I know it's only rhetoric, and there were plenty of other political reasons for the space race, but that one statement is possibly the finest thing any politician has ever said.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
"We choose to go to the moon [...] and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

Not hard, hahd!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"We choose to go to the moon [...] and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hahd."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQOu0IAdgaA

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Not hard, hahd!

Indeed, the proper pronunciation of the word. Unless ye be a pirate, arrr.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Checkers was the dog:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkers_speech

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
1960: The Flintstones made its television debut. Yabba Dabba Do.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
1960: The Flintstones made its television debut. Yabba Dabba Do.

So you're saying "happy anniversary?"

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1955: Alfred Hitchcock Presents made its television debut

1959: The Twilight Zone premiered

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
52 years ago today, my favorite TV show premiered. Here's one of the funniest episodes.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
52 years ago today, my favorite TV show premiered. Here's one of the funniest episodes.

And the Dick Van Dyke Show that was a year later gets the cold shoulder? Smiler

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Happy anniversary to one of my favorite programs, The Dick Van Dyke Show! Premiered on this day in 1961.

Smiler

"Live Forever!"