Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Given the increasing illiteracy, lack of intellectual depth, and inarticulateness of the last two generations, I am not so sanguine.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...ah, then this:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/70983

"There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running around with lit matches." -RB

On a lighter note:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pyjRj3UMRM&feature=related

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Doug Spaulding:
We are on the very dawn of a great and amazing beginning of communicating to each other that goes beyond books and the printed page. It is the masses having in their hands the power to speak to the world at large. It began with the printing press, continues with the internet in a large way, and will evolve into things we cannot imagine because of not only new information man will acquire, but the methods and means to communicate it. Will the printed page be out of print? Never. But we will see it like never before ...and stand back in awe.

"Jesus in the desert alone with temptation was a single divine presence. We, this year, with the Millennium commencing, are multitudinous lemmings driven by wireless voices to hurl ourselves into Internet seas where tides of mediocrity surge, pretending at wit and will but signify nothing." -RB

As long as the new type of book is still truely a book, and not some extension of the "blog" or some other such invention.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been said that enough monkeys wielding enough typewriters would eventually reproduce all the world's classics. The internet has proven this untrue.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nico:
Ray needs to re-open that Bible of his. The temptations Jesus suffered were not his own, but all of mankind. Christ had it leaps and bounds beyond the tides of voices of the internet.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was I on some sort of vacation or something when this came out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HicaK7NTHQI

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Golden Compass is no kids' movie and carries a very sinister theme (and agenda).

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/december/12.36.html

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy, what an article!

$o what i$ Nicole Kidman'$ motivation, ultimately. Maybe, $he i$ $imply comfortable with the fact the movie "It i$n't ALL anti-Catholic."

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dandy, what an article!

Quite.

I think I won't be seeing Mr Pullman's story come to life on the screen, nor will I open his books. Anyone who says the following about Jack Lewis is not worthy of my further consideration - I may not embrace Lewis's conservative Christian views, but you cannot argue his merits as a writer.

Pullman, writing in The Guardian on the occasion of Lewis's centenary in 1998, said the Narnia books are "one of the most ugly and poisonous things I have ever read," with "no shortage of nauseating drivel."

To the contrary Mr Pullman, the Narnia books are seven of the most beautiful and atoxic things I have ever read.

So there.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone can convince Pullman to do a book about Muhammad along the same lines.

http://www6.comcast.net/news/articles/general/2007/11/2.../?cvqh=itn_teddybear

posted Hide Post
Cute, Nard...very cute!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
quote:
Golden Compass is no kids' movie and carries a very sinister theme (and agenda).

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/december/12.36.html

Although the article has several valid points, such a magazine is obviously paranoid and biased.

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
Although the article has several valid points, such a magazine is obviously paranoid and biased.

Clearly it's biased toward Christianity from its very title.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NICO

"Christianity TODAY" is biased and paranoid? Really?

Well, then, let me ask you a question:

What do you think of Muhammad the Prophet?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
NICO

"Christianity TODAY" is biased and paranoid? Really?

Well, then, let me ask you a question:

What do you think of Muhammad the Prophet?

I think he was a merchant who started a religion. It was going along great, until he died and the cultural taboos and practices of the people a few hundred miles north of his deathbed were added (I.E. required dress, stigma against educating women) to his religious texts (both the Quaran, which was meant to remain unaltered, and the hadiths.)My guess is that the original version of the Quaran was almost as different from today's version as the Bible was from it's common versions today.

But what do I THINK of him? I never met him, so I cannot say.