Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
If Ray were only a Christian, his writings would have been much different, more restricted, less open to the "What If" that he seems to always begin with. To try and put Ray into a Christian mold would be to rob us of his creativity and his openmindedness to the possibilities that he has written about, from finding The Man on another Planet to Fire Balloons on Mars. I like him as he is and thank God that he allowed such a beautiful mind to come into this troubled world to help us see ourselves in a better light, with such positive messages that echo what Mr. Electrico told him: "Live Forever".

Those of you who have found peace in your religion, be at peace and be less inclined to want to change others who do not see the world in your vision of it. There is room for all to appreciate the words of our beloved Ray without asking him to change and become what he is not.

Patrask, should I be surprised you miss the main point of my post? My main point is Ray has known better.

But has his later life shown that in fact he did not know better? Or has his life been skewed thru the years with bad company, bad company that corrupts good morals? Why would a man who said he read the Bible and has written about Christ in stories and screenplays, now say he is 'god' to an audience? You are saying that the Christian faith would intimidate a writer to be creative? People like Tolkien and C.S. Lewis based their stories on scripture and they themselves were believers in Christ. Explain please. Or do you think it would only intimidate Ray?

There are several instances Ray writes about in his life that disappointed him in his religious beliefs. But, I believe, it has a whole lot to do with his early influences. Hugh Hefner plays an very important role in Ray's belief in God because of Hefner's large influence in Ray's life and career. Ray has changed the story several times on his experiences of Mr. Electrico.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to right teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever they want to hear. They will reject the truth and follow strange myths."

2nd Timoth 4th Chapter,
Verse 3 and 4

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kukai_Aoki:
I'm sure that your God would never send someone as kind-hearted as Ray to any place like hell.

Sure wouldn't, since it doesn't exist.

quote:
And, if God runs heaven the way he runs this planet...I do not think i would ever agree to be his follower.

God doesn't run this planet - that's what we're here for. God made it for us, and then pretty much turned it over to us to run. That's why it's so screwed! But in fairness, there is a lot of goodness and beauty here - humans aren't entirely pathetic.

God is definitely there, my atheist friend, but rarely intervenes in worldly affairs, and is much misunderstood by all the strange things the church teaches about "him". It gives you atheists a skewed view of us Christians.

Don't listen to the church, listen to your conscience, for that is where the holy spirit hides. Call her Wisdom, call her Sophia, call her conscience. Call her the Third Eye. But call her. She's always there, ready to show the way to the light.

Pray don't throw out God with the bathwater, just throw out the ugly politics of the church. When you really begin to understand the truth of God, it's a beautiful thing.

I refuse to question Ray's beliefs, as only he can answer for himself. One does the best one can with the knowledge one has, and moves on from there. I am not for proselytizing. Just live your life as an example - that's all most people will ever need to see.

Blessings!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
"For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to right teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever they want to hear. They will reject the truth and follow strange myths."

2nd Timoth 4th Chapter,
Verse 3 and 4

Unfortunately, Doug Spaulding does not think the devil asked for and was given this world, like the Bible says. (Read 1st John, chapt. 5, verse 19). Doug thinks it's misinterpretation. He doesn't think there was a fall of nature, blamed on man's choices. (Read John chapt. 8, verses 43-44). He doesn't think there is a hell, as described in scripture.(Read Luke chapt.16, verse 28) or (Revelation chapt.19, vs 20) He thinks scripture shouldn't be listened to, but listen to man's fallen heart. Hence, that verse up there, by Timothy, likely has nothing to say to Doug, tho it's talking about Doug.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:Your specific question about Isi-Meri and the Virgin Birth is handled in a chapter called The Virgin Isis-Meri.

Just so you know, "Mary" is a westernization of a Middle Eastern name.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the Pray for Ray forum is closed, may I make a suggestion?
If the mystery of mankind is in the stars, then Ray had it wrong in 'The Man', his story about Christ on other planets. It seems the crew found the meaning of life by walking into the city where Christ dwelled, while the mad Captain went sailing off trying to find the answer by his own effort.

Case closed! Ray had it right. in that story.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Easter, Braling.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Those who wanted this thread locked got their prayers answered.

You're funny - that's a good one.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Those who wanted this thread locked got their prayers answered.

You're funny - that's a good one.

I felt obligated to quit with a quip.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:Case closed! Ray had it right. in that story.

Looking only at certain stories, you can find many things, but Ray's stories often contain contradictory views.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Looking only at certain stories, you can find many things, but Ray's stories often contain contradictory views.

dandelion, got a hold of a copy of Los Angeles interview, and Bradbury does seem a bit contradictory. Bradbury has said a muse, a 12 year old boy, does all his writing. And in the interview he says, "God pushes my hand." Are we to assimilate all these metaphors into some sort of intelligent design?

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
Bradbury has said a muse, a 12 year old boy, does all his writing. And in the interview he says, "God pushes my hand."

Maybe God is a twelve year old boy.

quote:
Are we to assimilate all these metaphors into some sort of intelligent design?

Ray would eschew anything to do with intelligence - he's an emotionalist.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:dandelion, got a hold of a copy of Los Angeles interview, and Bradbury does seem a bit contradictory. Bradbury has said a muse, a 12 year old boy, does all his writing. And in the interview he says, "God pushes my hand." Are we to assimilate all these metaphors into some sort of intelligent design?

All I can tell you is a repeating pattern of trying to pin Ray down on anything he has said results in him saying I misinterpreted what he said (sometimes he gets overly defensive and assumes an interpretation I didn't even make) and generally makes another statement to explain what he "really" meant. I guess each quote, like each story, must carry its own internal logic.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
Happy Easter, Braling.

Thanks!
Anyone out there familiar with the intensity of Orthodox Holy Week will appreciate this paraphrase of a Russian saying:
"Christ is Risen! And the choir is dead!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post