Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
According to Phil Nichols on facebook, Professor William F. Touponce has passed away.

Bill Touponce was one of the giants of Bradbury scholarship, and I'm saddened at his passing, even though I never met him. Still, I have a lasting memorial of his work on my bookshelf.

http://liberalarts.iupui.edu/directory/bio/wtouponc

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Such a sad and terrible loss!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is Jon Eller's tribute to Professor Touponce, who passed away suddenly due to a heart attack on June 15, 2017.

https://www.facebook.com/bradb...169103674985/?type=3

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My name is Talky Tina, and you better be nice to me.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Wichita Lineman is off the line.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
The Wichita Lineman is off the line.

Terribly sad. Watched his show as a child, loved his work, always wished him the best!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved Jon Eller's Tribute to Professor Touponce. He was very, very kind and talked with me on the phone several times answering question about his book, research, and opinions. I'm know I'm a bit late to the game, but I've been gone awhile. Sometimes people we barely know touch out lives in substantive ways. Professor Touponce was like that to me. I never met him, but we corresponded and he talked with me on the phone several times. May he rest in peace and Live Forever -- all at the same time.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to note Elvis' 40th anniversary yesterday.

posted Hide Post
Famed U.K. writer and Science Fiction Grandmaster Brian Aldiss passed away on August 19, 2017, one day after his 92nd birthday. He wrote such classic novels as NON-STOP and HOTHOUSE, as well as the short story "Supertoys Last All Summer Long", which became the basis for the Stephen Spielberg film, AI. I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Aldiss at the annual John Campbell Conference at the University of Kansas in 2004, and found him to be a kind, delightful gentleman. Further information about his career and passing can be found by clicking on the link below:

http://www.locusmag.com/News/2...an-aldiss-1925-2017/

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jerry Pournelle

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
So many great ones leaving! Of all the recent passings, I was perhaps most affected by that of actor Blake Herron, who played young Marty in the movie Shiloh. My mom and I watched this together and when she read the book she declared that the movie was better! (I have to concur that Shiloh, like Sounder, was a case of the movie greatly outdoing the book.) Mom raved about the precious doggie and called young Blake "angelic." Strange to say (as all things are indeed connected to Ray Bradbury) that Ray's friend Rod Steiger was in Shiloh. Also strange to say, I had pictured him when reading the book, but as the bad guy from whom Marty is determined to rescue Shiloh. In the movie Steiger actually played the kindly old doctor. RIP Blake!

posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug Spaulding for the link. I knew that Doc Pournelle had been ailing, but was startled and saddened to learn that he has left us. Am thankful though, to know he passed peacefully in his sleep. Have often read his blog and marvelled at the continued strength and clarity of his writing.

Met him at a conference in Seoul, Korea, in the '80s. He spoke about the importance of missile defense. He spoke with appreciation about the development he could see that had taken place in Korea since his war-time service with the U.S. Army there in the early '50s. He had with him a small hand-held personal computer that fascinated me in my pre-email, pre-websurfing days.

Asked him if he knew our friend Ray Bradbury and was glad to hear him say that he did. May they both RIP.

Walt

"Stay on the Path."
Travis in: A Sound of Thunder

Posts: 21 | Location: A town still green in Illinois | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blake Heron.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Blake Heron.

Are you sure that's spelled right? I saw it as "Blake Herron" and spelled it so in my posting above.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Are you sure that's spelled right? I saw it as "Blake Herron" and spelled it so in my posting above.

I just know what they tells me.

"Live Forever!"