Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Appearances and Book Signings
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 42

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appearances and Book Signings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
That can't be Doug Spaulding. He does not seem to have a movie camera in his hand.

Finally! It just posted to YouTube. It's about time.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo from today's Duarte Festival of Books event. It was a cold (by L.A. standards)and drizzly day but Ray filled the tent and then some. Stephan J. Cannell (sp) came by to pay his respects to Mr. B.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

ImageDuarte01.JPG (236 Kb, 15 downloads)

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Below are details about his appearance this weekend at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. He is also receiving a lifetime achievement award at the Ojai Film Fest next month.

October 10 & 11, 2008
The American Cinematheque Presents
Dandelion Wine: Two Nights With Ray Bradbury

Egyptian Theatre
6712 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA
www.AmericanCinematheque.com

Join us in paying tribute to the legendary writer of fantasy, science-fiction and just plain great literature, Ray Bradbury, who will appear in-person for two evenings with screenings of his SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, John Huston’s MOBY DICK (a superb Bradbury screenplay) and THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS.

Friday, October 10 – 7:30 PM
Ray Bradbury In-Person!

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES
1983, Disney, 95 min.
Dir. Jack Clayton (THE INNOCENTS, OUR MOTHER’S HOUSE).
A strange carnival comes to a small Illinois town on a windy October night, bringing with it Mr. Dark (Jonathan Pryce), a sinister impresario who will mystify young boys Will and Jim (Vidal Peterson and Shawn Carson) and bewitch many of the town’s inhabitants with apparent answers to their dreams. Or is it their nightmares? Jason Robards, the older single dad of Will and a reclusive librarian who has given up on life, suddenly finds himself challenged by the mysteriously seductive threat – he may be the one person who can save the town from Mr. Dark – and itself. Ray Bradbury wrote the screenplay, adapting his own novel. With Pam Grier in an unusual role.

Saturday, October 11 – 7:30 PM
Ray Bradbury In-Person! Double Feature:

MOBY DICK
1956, MGM Repertory, 116 min.
Gregory Peck stars as bitter Captain Ahab, driven to find the giant white whale in director John Huston’s screen version of Herman Melville’s masterpiece, aided by a powerful adaptation by screenwriter Ray Bradbury. The film captures the epic sweep and near-biblical tone of the novel, has a superb cast, including Richard Basehart, and features an astonishing cameo by Orson Welles as Father Mapple. "MOBY DICK was the most difficult picture I ever made. I lost so many battles during it that I even began to suspect that my assistant director was plotting against me. Then I realized it was only God." – John Huston.

THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS
1953, Warner Bros., 80 min.
Dir. Eugene Lourie.
A giant prehistoric creature called a rhedosaurus is awakened from his icy slumber by nuclear testing and travels to New York City, where he takes his bad temper out on the stunned population. Based on a short story by longtime Ray Harryhausen pal Ray Bradbury (they met years earlier as members of the Los Angeles Science Fiction Society, along with Forrest Ackerman!). Starring Paul Christian, Paula Raymond, Kenneth Tobey.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. B will be El Camino College on Monday the 20th.

http://www.insidesocal.com/schoolnotebook/2008/10/fahre...author-to-visit.html

On October 29th, he will be at the Venice Library.

http://www.lapl.org/branches/Branch.php?bID=40

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello:

Will there be any other book signing's besides the one at Vromans on October 31st?

Also, I am interested in seeing a play?

What is the website/phone numbers for information?

Posts: 27 | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scotty,

See my post of October 19th for the link to the Venice Library.

The play information can be found at www.plays411.com. Seach for Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. Mr. B should be there this Saturday night, after the King Kong matinee at the Alex Theatre in Glendale.

If anybody is interested, here is a triple signed editon of Summer Morning Summer Night offered for sale on EbaY, at cover price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ray-Bradbury-SUMMER-MORNING-SUMMER-..._trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Richard: Don't miss this one.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Just a reminder about the Ojai Film Festival where Mr. B will be given their Lifetime Achievement Award.

http://www.ojaifilmfestival.com/

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Here is a reminder about the Vroman's book signing in Pasadena, CA on Halloween at 12 noon.

http://www.vromansbookstore.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp?s...vents&eventId=382530

If you attend please say hello. I'll be the one with the Halloween Tree Painting T-Shirt.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I just might attend.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On November 20th Turner Classic Movies will have Mr. B as their guest programmer. As they say...check you local listings.

(With special thanks to Doug Spaulding for reminding me about this.)

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Last night the Ray Bradbury Creativity Award was given to Roy E. Disney.

John King Tarpinian

ImageRayAndRoy.JPG (145 Kb, 7 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Turner Classic Movies now has a link about Mr. B's guest hosting on the 20th.
http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=208991

Also a reminder that Mr. B will be receiving a Lifetime Achivement Award at this Saturday's Ojai Film Festival. It is my understanding that the award will be presented by Edward James Olmos, who played Vamanos in The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit, which will be screened that evening.
http://www.ojaifilmfestival.com/

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Turner Classic Movies now has a link about Mr. B's guest hosting on the 20th.

Thanks! I've been looking for that link, and it wasn't there yet.

Looks like Mr B has picked some good 'uns (as they say in the south)!

I'm surprised he didn't pick that science-fiction musical, Singin' in the Rain!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Not wishing to sound cynical, but I suspect Mr B was restricted to selecting from a list put in front of him. Nevertheless, there are some good picks in there.

If anyone gets to record Mr B's bit, I would be pleased to hear from them - I don't have access to TCM. (There is a version of the channel here in Europe, but they programme it independently.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post