Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Appearances and Book Signings
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appearances and Book Signings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
What is my idea of a nice July day? Spending "An Afternoon with Ray Bradbury” at Barnes & Noble in Santa Monica at 3rd Street Promenade on Saturday the 19th at 2 p.m.

You and I and Ray should carpool due to the price of petrol.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We'll have to get there early to take advantage of the Farmer's Market...

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. B is slated to give a brief introduction to this event :Thursday, July 10 – 7:30 PM

Egyptian Theatre 85th Anniversary Screening

KING OF KINGS, 1961, Warner Bros., 168 min. Director Nicholas Ray and epic producer Samuel Bronston seemed an odd couple, but the pair made this reverent, straightforward portrait of the life of Christ work on its own terms. Filled with moving performances by Jeffrey Hunter as Jesus, a potent, often mysterious messiah, and Robert Ryan as John the Baptist, with support from Siobhan McKenna, Rip Torn, Royal Dano, Harry Guardino, Viveca Lindfors and others. Meticulous and spectacular production design adds to the realism, while Orson Welles’ narration adds storybook charm. Originally played at the Egyptian Theatre. 1961 Prices! Tickets are only $3 each!

http://www.americancinematheque.com/archive1999/2008/Eg...tm#KING%20OF%20KINGS

OK, who wants to be the first to tell of Ray's involvement with this movie?

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John,

Ray wrote the narration that Orson Welles uses in King of Kings.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a swell event. I don't know about $3.00, though cheap by today's standards, being a "1961 price", however!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GreenRay: Bingo

Braling II: The Egyptian Theatre along with the one across the street: Grauman's Chinese Theatre were two premiere movie houses. In those days $3 would keep the riff-raff out of the theatre. Nothing could beat going to the Egyptian or Chinese after having lunch at Musso and Franks or the Pig N Whistle, then after the movie going to C.C. Brown's for a hot fudge sundae...the Buster Brown. Yum-O

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:

OK, who wants to be the first to tell of Ray's involvement with this movie?

Gee! John, everyone knows this one. Ray was an understudy for Jeffrey Hunter.

..... (not)

Okay, how about Ray wrote the narration!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who plan to attend the screening of King of Kings, this coming Thursday night, I thought I'd point out a policy from the American Cinematique website, "No autographs (unless a booksigning is advertised); no video/audio taping inside the theatre."

Come and enjoy Mr. B speak and the movie but please leave the books and video cameras at home. Smiler

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
You west coasters....just have all the fun, luck, RAY!

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Parish:
You west coasters....just have all the fun, luck, RAY!

Parish,

You should come, tickets are only $3.00. (ducking)

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
KING OF KINGS

And who plays Peter? Tom Fury.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
And who plays Peter? Tom Fury.

Or is it Elijah from the Pequod?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

Him too. Ray mentioned tonight that Royal Dano was in three of his films, then went on to tell us which three.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

Him too. Ray mentioned tonight that Royal Dano was in three of his films, then went on to tell us which three.

Would you buy a lightening rod from that man? Royal Dano also played Elija in Moby Dick. I remember him best as Abe Lincoln in a Twilight Zone episode as the last casualty of that war.

Imagine the Rip Torn of today as Judas? (Even I know who Jusas was.)

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Jusas is a good word.

"Live Forever!"