Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Ever read Ray's 'Kaleidoscope'?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever read Ray's 'Kaleidoscope'?
 Login/Join

posted
I live in Fort Worth, so Ray's short story "Kaleidoscope" that I read 27yrs ago and again a few days ago has an entire NEW meaning for me!!. If you've read it or live in Ft. Worth and love the 'NASA Space program' you may know why.
If not let me give you a synopsis. On 1, February, 2003, 7:59am my 5th viewing of a Shuttle re-entry(first with 16x50 bushnells) was THE MOST heart rending moment of my LIFE untill my Moms passing on Sept. 13th that same year!! What I saw in those binoc's I will not describe, here, now; I don't have the strength!. Especially after having re-read "Kaleidoscope" again!!! If you have never read this 9 page mastery of shortstorys, do so.! Have a hanky or box of tissue handy.

for Rick, Willy, Dave, Larual, Mike, KC, and Ilan!

Johnny B.

Posts: 35 | Location: Fort Worth,Texas,USA | Registered: 13 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love that story. Just mentioned it in another thread a few days ago.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a whole discussion of "Kaleidoscope" here when the tragedy happened, but this is the first time they have been linked by someone who witnessed it live. The connection was so obvious, no one was overimaginative nor out of line for making it. (To search for the thread, you will need to change the setting to go back at least a year--search for the name of the craft and the thread should come right up.)

Posts: 7306 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoa slow down, Dandelion, I'm new here..thread?...settings? Say it one more time like I'm in first grade. Where do I start this search? Will I need a box of tissue when I read this?
And 3:57am Eastern.. How close to Sri Lanka do you live? Or are you just on the night shift? If I may be so bold?

John AJ

[edited 14, March 2004: JAJB]

[This message has been edited by jajboeg (edited 03-14-2004).]

Posts: 35 | Location: Fort Worth,Texas,USA | Registered: 13 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion! SORRY. And how do I edit my atrocious spelling while your teaching me something!.

SORRY again
John AJ
P.S. Mr. Dark can you help me?

posted Hide Post
Dandelion, and all
I'm not as dumb as I thought. I found the search, the old thread! A lot to read there. I'll save most of it for when I get back home. I still need to know how your editing these things. And I've always needed a spell checker...and glasses!!
Thanks for the info on the thread.

John
P.S. If no one minds I'd like to start 'Resources' 'Columbia revisited' to tell what all the space program has done for us, starting with keeping millions of us HIV+'s alive. And to answer some the old stuff in that thread.
P.P.S. I'll wait until Dandelion and Mr. Dark give a go ahead, and bring me up to speed on more of the functions here(editing, and so forth)[a spell checker]!.
P.P.P.S. Anyone who might read this first PLEASE chime in!.

posted Hide Post
To edit one of your postings, look for the icon that looks like a piece of paper and a pencil to the right of line that notes the date and time of your posting. Click on that icon. It opens up your posting and allows you to edit it.

Posts: 2486 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard,
Many, many thanks!! ahem...How long before one becomes a full member?..even though I love being thought a junior again?.

John