Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    "A Sound of Thunder"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"A Sound of Thunder"
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know if this story is being made into a movie,as I read about a few months back? Supposedly ,Pierce Brosnin was supposed to have a lead role.One of my all time favorites.How about you?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are other threads here that have a lot of update on the movie coming up.

As for Pierce Brosnan, I enjoyed him in "Remington Steele" and think he is a good James Bond; but when I see him in other roles it is very hard for me to take.

In the movie, "Dante's Peak" where he's sitting with the kids in that tunnel, he says something like, when this is over we'll go fish together. The way he said it, and the sloppy writing that gave it no context, almost made me gag.

We'll see how he does here. I trust he's a bit of a Director-dependent actor. That is, he is probably capable if well directed. If the direction is sloppy or weak, I'm just not sure he's a good enough actor to pull things off on his own.

That's just my view of it.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope they do, this would be a very wonderful movie but would be also short unless they added things into it which would completely ruin the story itself. "Sound of Thunder" has to be one of my favourites.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P R O D U C T I O N
U P D A T E

"Sound of Thunder"

(click on, or type into finder)
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808405972&intl=us

ALSO:
OFFICIAL
'SOUND OF THUNDER'
MOVIE WEBSITE:
http://asoundofthunder.warnerbros.com

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 11-04-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dah! A movie based on a sound of thunder? I might cry!! How, how, how can a movie do justice to such an eloquent short story? It can't! Think about the movie of Fahrenheit 451. A sad injustice. I'm going to protest this movie. Dah! What's wrong with our society, stupid people??

Posts: 3 | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
treesleeper:

On a larger scale, our world is totally messed up. Think about it: What could be worse then having to live here forever? Thank God his mercy permits only a handful of decades....with a promise of something far better.

AND I would think that as far as man could reach the stars, it'll be less than perfect. Take this, the following, for instance:

I recently discovered, to my amazement, that scientists have agreed years ago, NEVER to send one of those super strong signals into space, to try to contact, perhap,s another civilzation.

Listening is okay!

The reason:
No one knows if there are hostile civilizations just waiting to hear from us. This 'don't call' position was adopted by ALL scientists all over the world.

So, not only this world, but perhaps the universe too, is messed up.

But take it easy. Who knows. The movie, The Sound of Thunder, may turn out not that bad afterall.

Anyway, in your spare time, check out the Ray Bradbury stuff on eBAY. There's a first edition of Martian Chronicles, and Fahrenheit 451 for instance. (Now where in the world to get THAT kind of money for those bids....!!!)

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I know everybody's all upset about this remake. I'm kind of split on the issue. While I was overjoyed to hear about a movie based on a Ray Bradbury short story, moreover one that I treasured, I wondered about how they would treat the book. And more importantly, how they'd stretch it into a full-length feature.

There's no doubt that the movie has departed greatly from the story. However, I think that, from what I've heard, they're struggling to be faithful to the general idea of the story, and that should make it at the very least okay.

What I'm really glad about is how a Ray Bradbury revival of sorts appears to be coming about. A Sound of Thunder, a remake of Fahrenheit 451, and just the other day in Borders I saw a comic book based entirely on Bradbury short stories. I've got to say that this generation, and even a few before it, know very little about Bradbury, and maybe now they'll discover him.

As for the movie, I'll wait to pass judgement until I see it.

Posts: 5 | Location: Bedford, NY, USA | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look forward to seeing it, even though I know there will be parts that "bug" me. Like you said, ergo, if it helps more people get interested in Ray, I'm all for it. In fact, I'm still wishing that Oprah would pick Fahrenheit 451 for her book club one of these days. As millions of new fans across the country would discover him, those of us on this board could smile smugly and say, "I told you so...." (I really wouldn't do that, but you know what I mean...)

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
....And then there is Dandelion Wine, Dandelion Wine, Dandelion Wine! It really needs to be done someday. How to capture the moods, the nostalgia, the characters, the lessons, the wonderful small town reality, now rare in America?

Or, if produced, would it be lost on a generation of clickers, rockers, chatters, and hip-hoppers?

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Movies aren't necessarily the best way to bring Ray Bradbury to life.

I think that there needs to be another TV series. A new Ray Bradbury presents. I've heard on SciFi they're planning on putting on an Illustrated Man mini-series, but what about a full-fledged TV show?

New story every week. There are simply so many great Ray Bradbury stories itching to be brought to a new audience.

TV would be a great way of doing that, provided it was done faithfully and executed well.

Posts: 5 | Location: Bedford, NY, USA | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Granted,any Bradbury short story made into a movie might be a stretch,with alot of "fill" to create.I only hope they stick to Ray's story and somehow build around it with quality directing and script.Maybe Mr. Bradbury willeven be an advisor on the set.But movie or no movie,at least his stories are enough to free our imaginations. Can't wait for his next book....

Posts: 2 | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post