Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Ray's Smile Stories

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's Smile Stories
 Login/Join

posted
“The Happiness Machine” and “The Anthem Sprinters” are a couple of Ray’s cheerier stories. Which ones have you read that made you a little happier or made you smile?

**** “Bob’s your uncle”? Well that’s “Jake” with me. ***

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely "The Sound of Summer Running." It makes me smile every single time I read it.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Cat's Pajamas" for sure!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Parrot Who Met Papa" always makes me laugh. In my personal opinion, it's Ray's funniest story.

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll have to research and think about the funniest one.
But I always laugh outloud at parts of "Any Friend Of Nicholas Nickelby",;e.g. when Dickens says something like, "You may indeed say "Wow", Pip..." Also the barber's prayer at the dinner table.
For pure sweetness, insight, and some humour, what immediately comes to mind is the scene in "Dandelion Wine" concerning Grandma and her new glasses.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, in DW, "The Exorcism," during the Honeysuckle Ladies Lodge meeting, when Mrs. Brown is suddenly relieved of the herbs and seasonings she had consumed to counter-act Mrs. Goodwater's voodoo spell. As Tom, all dressed in white, is leaving the hall, "...he tiptoed down the stairs before they missed him, holding tight to the rail all the way."

Rather Shakespearan, actually!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,

It’s been a while since I read “Dandelion Wine”, although I read parts of it regularly, and somewhere in the deep recesses of this lame brain of mine is a vague memory of the “Grandma and her new glasses” sequence but I can’t find it. Can you help? Thanks.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31,
I don't have the book with me right now, but it's when Aunt Rose (I think) visits and suggests Grandma organise her kitchen and get new glasses. I'll check it out later and locate it for you...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, just did a search. The story occurs, apparently, in Chapter 39. Enjoy!

posted Hide Post
Thanks. Your directions helped me find it but…you have chapter numbers? Or, are you counting the bridges and stories together as chapters and...well if you are it works.

posted Hide Post
I don't have chapters in my copy either, but this is what came up on the web.