Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    I desperately need some new reading material.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I desperately need some new reading material.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"one more crack missy just one more..."

How satisfying it would have been to see Maggie crack it to mae!

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to get your wild lil hands on The Long Hot Summer. Trust me, its equally strong...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try reading Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising" series and Katherine Paterson's "Bridge to Terabithia" before the GODAWFUL, or at least unrecognizable, new movies come out!

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not much for fantasy, but I'll take a look

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at the Antiquarian Book Show at the Padadena Civic Auditorium today. For those of you in Orange County (and you know who you are) I learned today that The Book Baron has lost their lease. Starging July 5th everything is starting at 40% off. Books, magazines, shelving, display cases, etc.

The Book Baron, 1236 S. Magnolia Ave., Anaheim.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Grief! Book Baron has been in Anaheim area for years and years. There was a bookstore in Fullerton that just closed in March, on Commonwealth Ave. 80,000 books had to be moved. The internet is forcing many bookstores out of their old locations. Hey, John, will visit the Book Baron soon. Thanks for the post.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: Hugh rent increases are not helping the independent book seller either.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get used to it, the internet that is, it is here to stay. Anything you want in the world can be found there. Brick and mortar is so passe. A virtual store can be set up in your home with access to an endless supply of products to sell, that require no inventory cost, and can be sent by the click of a mouse to anyone anywhere in the world. We ARE one now, whether we like it or not.

The streets used to be littered with horseshit and buggy whips were a hot item. Today, the electron rules and any that cannot understand the changes are doomed to be left behind.

I hear the sound of Bob Dylon singing, "...if you don't learn to swim you will sink like a stone, 'cause the times they are a changin'..."

http://www.bobdylan.com/moderntimes/home/main.html

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil (patrask):

Mentioning horse poop reminded me of the methane problem from cows, the leading factor in global warming according to some reports. Is there methane from horses-dovers as well? If so, we would be having climate change because of too many horsy-poops by now should the car never have been invented?
Of course, India, and many other countries still have streets 'paved' with horse poops, and buggy whips are in use. On a very limited scale, consider the Amish population.

Profound as the beginning of book printing (movable type) and all the ramifications upon society, the internet is different in its widespread immediacy, side-stepping generational acclamation. Yet, no matter what scientific invention is created, (or other created marvel) doesn't it always falls prey to some 'dark-side' use? But dark doesn't produce light, the bad doesn't produce good. Or does it? In that, the question is then ...where did good come from? Can good produce bad? Then it's not good! Can bad produce good? Then it's not bad! Yes? No?

John (jkt) / Phil (patrask):

As to brick and mortar bookstores, why won't they be around, just less of them... somewhere in the world? An oddity perhaps? Currently, type and pictures on the printed page are being developed by Xerox (and others) where the type changes and the pictures move, thru a radio signal. The ink is actually millions of multi colored 'beads' that spin (rotate) embedded in a thin sheet of plastic-paper-like material. The radio signal sends new images that install new type (words) and new photos by revolving the 'beads' to form a new image. The'sheet' can be rolled up as well as folded. How many more years for this? Ten? Twelve? Right around the corner!? Think of the fate of the newspapers, books and magazines. Applications for such a finished product are today being discussed, uses in wearing materials, food product labeling, and just about anything that is printed nowadays.
Thru the years, giant printing presses (unless they come up with new ways of use) likely will become scarce. Film cameras are dwindling into hands of collectors and those still preferring film because of its present quality over digital in some areas. But that's today! Tomorrow we'll say goodbye to all sorts of things.

When you realize that with all the brilliant science fiction writers and men and women of imagination...no one seems to have foretold the coming of the internet. Should we expect there are marvels on the 'doorstep' we don't have the foggiest notion of...and that if we were told, would dismiss the person as bonkers? Yeah, I think so!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
...no one seems to have foretold the coming of the internet.

Al Gore did!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was originally the ARPA-NET, invented to facilitate the transfer of information and data between those who were funded to perform research and the agency that funded the research, the Advanced Research Projects Agency - ARPA, which then became DARPA - then ARPA and then DARPA again; they could not make up their minds what to research, military projects or non-military projects. My Alma Mater, UCLA played a rather large part in the original development of the internet, as did other well known institutions.

So, here we sit with all this informational power at our fingertips, and what do we do with it? Why buy shoes of course, and books and other things that we used to go down to the store and try on first. Any FACT - real or not -can be accessed in seconds around the world. That brought into being websites that are set up to debug the un-truths that are being spread over the internet. Whole new industries have come into being, like anti-virus protection companies, who, most likely, write the viruses that cause us to need the anti-virus software that they customize to stop the thing they have invented. Clever are these inter-nuts, eh?

You ain't seen nothin' yet. The product is information, and anything that will facilitate its speedier transmission will win out. All of our toys, cars, appliances, houses, clothes, will someday tell us when we need to perform maintenance. Then the genie that is out of the bottle will have gotten us and will then start to control us, not we him. Time for a Pacifico on the beach- it's brewed in Mazatlan you know?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
It was originally the ARPA-NET, invented to facilitate the transfer of information and data between those who were funded to perform research and the agency that funded the research, the Advanced Research Projects Agency - ARPA, which then became DARPA - then ARPA and then DARPA again; they could not make up their minds what to research, military projects or non-military projects. My Alma Mater, UCLA played a rather large part in the original development of the internet, as did other well known institutions.

So, here we sit with all this informational power at our fingertips, and what do we do with it? Why buy shoes of course, and books and other things that we used to go down to the store and try on first. Any FACT - real or not -can be accessed in seconds around the world. That brought into being websites that are set up to debug the un-truths that are being spread over the internet. Whole new industries have come into being, like anti-virus protection companies, who, most likely, write the viruses that cause us to need the anti-virus software that they customize to stop the thing they have invented. Clever are these inter-nuts, eh?

You ain't seen nothin' yet. The product is information, and anything that will facilitate its speedier transmission will win out. All of our toys, cars, appliances, houses, clothes, will someday tell us when we need to perform maintenance. Then the genie that is out of the bottle will have gotten us and will then start to control us, not we him. Time for a Pacifico on the beach- it's brewed in Mazatlan you know?

I've heard of that school, just a spot on the map until Ray wrote F451 on a rental typewriter there. Big Grin

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Phil (patrask):

John (jkt) / Phil (patrask):

As to brick and mortar bookstores, why won't they be around, just less of them... somewhere in the world? An oddity perhaps? Currently, type and pictures on the printed page are being developed by Xerox (and others) where the type changes and the pictures move, thru a radio signal. The ink is actually millions of multi colored 'beads' that spin (rotate) embedded in a thin sheet of plastic-paper-like material. The radio signal sends new images that install new type (words) and new photos by revolving the 'beads' to form a new image. The'sheet' can be rolled up as well as folded. How many more years for this? Ten? Twelve? Right around the corner!? Think of the fate of the newspapers, books and magazines. Applications for such a finished product are today being discussed, uses in wearing materials, food product labeling, and just about anything that is printed nowadays.
Thru the years, giant printing presses (unless they come up with new ways of use) likely will become scarce. Film cameras are dwindling into hands of collectors and those still preferring film because of its present quality over digital in some areas. But that's today! Tomorrow we'll say goodbye to all sorts of things.

When you realize that with all the brilliant science fiction writers and men and women of imagination...no one seems to have foretold the coming of the internet. Should we expect there are marvels on the 'doorstep' we don't have the foggiest notion of...and that if we were told, would dismiss the person as bonkers? Yeah, I think so!

None of the three book shops I frequented in my younger days are around any more. Pickwick in Hollywood. Dutton's and The Paperback Shack in North Hollywood are all gone.

Having spent three days at the Antiquarian Book Show it does not bode well. Just a few years ago they had 150 vendors, this year 38. The lament was the same, their kids are not interested in the family business and nobody wants to buy a book shop anymore. Also a change of ownership will allow the landlord to bring a store lease up to market rates. There was a store in Burbank, that closed a while back. A guy from Ireland bought all the books on the shelves for $250,000 and shipped them home. I have stories about what was in storage the local dealers were able to go thru but nobody wanted to buy the store.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian