Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    hey ppls plz help me

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hey ppls plz help me
 Login/Join

posted
hey ppls,
I love this Ray Bradbury short story I read last year. It's driving me crazy because I can't remember the name of it. It has the same title as a poem that is in the story. It's about a futuristic world in which war has swept away all human life. It's set in a talking house that was desgined to bring its owners their every comfort. The whole day, the house prepares meals and activitys for its family, but noone ever appears. At the end of the day, the house reads the owner's favorite poem, which is about a world with all the people gone and only nature left. That's all I can remember.
please help ppls thanks a lot! : )

Posts: 2 | Location: Barnwell, SC, U.S.A | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There will Come Soft Rains....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ahh..thank you soo much. That's bugged me forever. Now I can actually find it somewhere and get it. Thanks a lot. : )

Posts: 2 | Location: Barnwell, SC, U.S.A | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"There Will Come Soft Rains" is in:

The Martian Chronicles, and
The Vintage Bradbury, and
The Stories of Ray Bradbury.

Great Story. . .

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try this site:

But, really get the collections of stories. You'll never go wrong!

[This message has been edited by guapodevil (edited 04-06-2003).]

Posts: 19 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see any indication on the above linked site that this story was reprinted with the permission of Ray or his publishers.

Encouraging people to participate in the theft of Ray's work is irresponsible and violates the spirit of this site.

I would humbly make a request that guapodevil edit his message and remove the link. If not, I urge dandelion to remove it.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how much of that sort of thing the publishers would want us tolerating on this site. If/when they start answering my communications again, I will ask. All I know (this is from Ray himself) is "it's legal to have something that was done without permission but illegal to do anything with it." In other words, if any sort of sale/profit is going on, it's illegal. Still, this seems at least as bad as and probably worse than photocopying, which IS illegal, and one would think the publishers would want to take action against it to protect theirs and the authors' rights.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hereby apologize for any transgressions I have made. Please remove my post.
Thanks,
Guapodevil

Posts: 19 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
guapodevil: I'm sure it was unintentional. I hadn't thought of it, either, when I saw your post until WritingReptile and Dandelion posted. They are correct, though. One of the great things about the internet is that it makes so much available to so many; but there is the risk of making things available that are still under copyright protection. Artists and authors -- even when well established -- have (and ought to have) the right to the financial benefits derived from their art.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guapodevil. I know you meant no harm. You did, afterall, enourage us to get the book.

PS: Why delete the whole post? Just click on the little edit icon above your post and edit out the offending link.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
editing complete...

By the way, I found the Sara Teasdale poem on several sites....is her work public domain?

Thanks in advance,
Guapodevil

posted Hide Post
Well, just about everything has a life span, including copyrights, unless renewed.... Just think: Donald Duck and Mickey almost went Public Domain....
Anyway, read and find the info at the following site...

click on, or type into finder: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 04-06-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post