Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Library as a place of refuge

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Library as a place of refuge
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for a story where a man comes on the train (I think) and gets off in a town and goes to a library either as a quiet place or to see the librarian. Wish I remembered more.

Now: Favorite stories - Uncle Einar and the Aunt Rose chapter from Dandelion Wine followed closely by A Sound of Thunder, The Veldt and The Small assassin.

Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 November 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Da5idn, welcome to the Board! The story you are looking for sounds somewhat like Ray Bradbury's novella, SOMEWHERE A BAND IS PLAYING. You can find that story in NOW AND FOREVER, a book published in 2007 and still in print in trade paperback. While I hope this helps, perhaps someone else may have a different suggestion.

The link below will take you to a listing for that book on Amazon. If you scroll down, you will find a brief excerpt from the beginning of SOMEWHERE A BAND IS PLAYING, which may help you determine if this is the story you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Now-For...d_i=0061131571&psc=1

Posts: 2477 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another possibility is the short story "Exchange" which involves a young man visiting a library and reminiscing with the librarian who remembered finding him books to read when he was a young boy. I think this story only appeared in the Bradbury collection QUICKER THAN THE EYE.

Posts: 41 | Registered: 29 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great suggestion, JRES100! The text to "Exchange" appears on a Russian website, and can be accessed via the link below:

https://proza.ru/2004/04/16-54

Posts: 2477 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was indeed Exchange. Made me tear up. I have some librarians to send it to.
I had thought it was newer.
Thank you so much.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 November 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRES100:
Another possibility is the short story "Exchange" which involves a young man visiting a library and reminiscing with the librarian who remembered finding him books to read when he was a young boy. I think this story only appeared in the Bradbury collection QUICKER THAN THE EYE.

Wow, I'd never read that one. Truly a great Bradbury literary romance story, with a great build and flow. Thanks for the link Richard!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post