Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Fahrenheit 451, The wine of summer...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451, The wine of summer...
 Login/Join

posted
Hello friends.
My name is Gustavo, from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Due to this forums are in english, I will use the better english I know.
My preferred titles of Ray are Fahrenheit 451, because he has an impressive vision of the reality of the world in the future years, and The wine of summer (El vino del estío, in spanish)... because it was the first Ray's tale I readen in my adolescense (teen age).
Of course, many other stories I readen from Ray, wonderful as "The Death is an lonely matter" ("La muerte es un asunto solitario" in spanish) but if you ask me which of them I remember with my heart, I will answer those two.
Thanks to the creators of this forum.
Regards to all you.

Desde Marte... (From Mars...)
GusSiglo21

Posts: 3 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 04 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GusSiglo21

I, too, have enjoyed Dandelion Wine and am still finishing it up after having had the book for many years and thinking that I had read it, when, indeed, I had not.

Death Is a Lonely Matter is also great along with its companions Graveyard For Lunatics and Let's All Kill Constance.

I wish that Ray would write one more in the series but he says that he doesnot wish to do so.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is one more in the series: "Green Shadows, White Whale." It did not do as well so I don't know if it's been translated into Spanish. But there are no more after
"Let's All Kill Constance."

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Green Shadows really part of the series? True, the narrator sounds like the same character, but Green Shadows isn't a detective/mystery/thriller novel like the other ones biplane1 referred to.

Doe anyone remember whether there are any matching reference points between Green Shadows and the others? For example, what is the name of the narrator and the narrator's wife? (I have a terrible memory for this kind of detail!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The narrator is unnamed; the wife is named Peg. I'm sure it's the same people.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil: You are so correct in regard to Green Shadows-White Whale. Dandelion: As knowledgeable as you are about Ray's works, I am surprised that you are attempting to lump Green Shadows-White Whale with the Triology. GS-WW is about Ray's adventures in Ireland writing the screenplay of Moby Dick. True, Marquerite and at least two of his daughters accompanied him and he has referred to his wife as "Peg."

But the characters and setting of the Triology:
Death Is a Lonely Business/Graveyards for Lunatics/Let's All Kill Constance is primarily Los Angeles and the nefarious activities of the various central characters are far and apart from the Irish folk in GS-WW.

I asked Ray one time if there might be a follow-up to Let's All Kill Constance and he said that there were no plans for one, much to my chagrin.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the mystery novel trilogy, the narrator's girlfriend/wife is Peg, and in A Graveyard for Lunatics his friend the animator is Roy Holdstrom.

In Green Shadows, White Whale, the narrator's wife is Maggie, and he refers to his friend the animator Ray Harryhausen. Thus, I don't consider Green Shadows to be part of the mystery novel series.

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Walloon and biplane1 - that's how I remember Green Shadows. It's clearly related to the mystery novels in that they all have autobiographical elements, but Green Shadows is much more realistic and "truthful" about Ray's real-life experience than the mysteries are.

(However, Ray does take liberties with the truth in Green Shadows. In real life, he went to Ireland with Maggie, but in Green Shadows I recall that he travels alone. And I think in Green Shadows the author is making a return trip to Ireland, whereas in real life it was Ray's first visit.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks for clearing up the "mystery."

Thomas Wolfe did something similar, in writing two books with the same main character, then going to a different character, even though all the books were to some extent or other autobiographical.