Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Faber College Animal House

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Faber College Animal House
 Login/Join

posted
Sorry to waste your time. I have looked at many sources to clarify this issue and have come up with nothing. In the movie Animal House the name of the school is Faber College. Is this in some way related to Prof Faber in 451?

Posts: 2 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 20 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since Montag refers to a brand of paper, I always thought Faber referred to the Eberhard Faber pencils, but I don't know about that, or any other references. Wouldn't think so noble a mind as Faber's would want to be associated with such goings-on.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Noble mind...goings-on:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/images/MattDay/animalhousezit.jpg

Dandy! RE: When teaching F451 I mention those allusion to the names. This also, "Peter Faber" was a Jesuit Theologian and teacher of St. Ignatius Loyola, a man behind the Man, so to speak, as was Faber to Montag. Interesting!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Faber

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the UK, Faber is most strongly associated with publishing: Faber and Faber (usually just called "Faber") is one of our independent publishing houses.

Although I quite like the idea of Prof Faber (pencil) leaving his mark on Montag (paper).

But then, what is the significance of McClellan?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought of Eberhard Faber or Faber-Castell, and Montag is German for Monday.
What any of this has to do with Mr. B's chosing of names I don't know.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I had always associated Montag - Monday - start of the working week - a new beginning.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post