Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favorite but lost story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite but lost story
 Login/Join

posted
As a teen I identified with Ray Bradbury's characters and lived in his books, but gradually lost the relationship through neglect.

Now I need my favorite story again, the one I identified with most. But I can't even remember the name, or the book that contained it.

It is the story of an alien who entered a community, who was sort of a shape shifter, becoming "whoever" was uppermost in the mind of the "earthling" she was with. "She" eventually ended up in a crowd and was destroyed by her own gift/curse when so many minds at once presented her with images shge had to become. Can anyone tell from this information what the name of the story is? Then perhaps I can find the book that holds it. Thank you!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pj:
As a teen I identified with Ray Bradbury's characters and lived in his books, but gradually lost the relationship through neglect.

Now I need my favorite story again, the one I identified with most. But I can't even remember the name, or the book that contained it.

It is the story of an alien who entered a community, who was sort of a shape shifter, becoming "whoever" was uppermost in the mind of the "earthling" she was with. "She" eventually ended up in a crowd and was destroyed by her own gift/curse when so many minds at once presented her with images shge had to become. Can anyone tell from this information what the name of the story is? Then perhaps I can find the book that holds it. Thank you!

The Martian, from Fahrenheit 451 may be what you are looking for.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

From Fahrenheit?

I was thinking The Martian Chronicles:

The Martian (September 2005/2036)

First published in Super Science Stories, November 1949.

LaFarge and his wife Anna have forged a new life for themselves, but they still miss their dead son Tom. A night thunderstorm startles the elderly pair, who see a figure standing outside their home in the rain. Anna retires to bed afraid, while LaFarge believes that somehow, Tom is standing before him. He leaves his house unlocked.

That morning, "Tom" is busy helping Anna with chores. LaFarge sees that Anna is somehow unaware of Tom's death, and after speaking privately with him, LaFarge learns that "Tom" is a Martian with an apparent empathic shapeshifting ability: it appears as their dead son to them.

Later that day, Anna insists on a visit to the town. "Tom" is deathly afraid of being so close to so many people. LaFarge promises to keep him close, but at the town they become separated. While searching for "Tom", LaFarge hears that the Spaulding family in town has miraculously found their lost daughter Lavinia. Desperate to avoid a second devastating heartbreak to his wife, LaFarge stands outside Spaulding's home and finds "Tom" now masquerading as Lavinia. He is able to coax "Tom" to come back, and they run desperately back for their boat to leave town. However, everyone "Tom" passes sees a person of their own — a lost husband, a son, a criminal. The Martian, exhausted from his constant shape-changing, spasms and dies.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! That's it. I also found it labeled as "The Old Ones" inMartian Chronicles, after reading your post. Thank you!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
[

I had 451 on my mind, what was I thinking. I got the story right just the wrong book.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post