Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help..
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ok, I have one I'm trying to remember... A family is going to travel through space, which at this point was very common. They were all put into a deep sleep, and revived when they arrived at their destination. One of the children faked being put under, and opened his eyes during the travel and went mad. Help! I'm starting to think I'm crazy and this story doesn't really exist. No one else I know has ever heard of it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury is like that great whale that sucks in a myriad of plankton, digesting all sorts of ideas. But he seldom breathes out the ghoulish. There are examples, such as his story 'The Women'; 'Gotcha', perhaps even 'The Scythe' or a few others that border on sheer frightening conclusions. But your description leans more to the terrifying without any escape from the fear anywhere in the narrative usually found in a Bradbury story.

And so with that description you provided, I'd say, not Bradbury's style; and so, Not Bradbury!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this story - I just read it in the last year. I can't remember the title, but could probably look it up when I get a chance (Monday).

It's Stephen King, I'm almost positive.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct, Doug Spaulding, this is "The Jaunt" by Stephen King.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's it!

You're good.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG thank you! It reminded me so much of Bradbury, I had started to think it was one of his.

Posts: 2 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aliceof1derland:
It reminded me so much of Bradbury, I had started to think it was one of his.

Then Ray has done his work.

Steve lists Ray as one of his primary inspirations, and once said about him, "when they made Ray Bradbury, they broke the mold."

True Steve, true.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
It would not have occurred to me to post any reply, but for checking around on this story to learn more. One sentence about it in Wikipedia grabbed my attention, however:

"While physically the process occurs nearly instantaneously, to the conscious mind it lasts an eternity and beyond."

That sentence described, and reminded me (compellingly!) of, a story I love: "Common Time" by James Blish.

I am nutzo about that story. There ya have it.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, it just reminds me of Buzz Lightyear.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Correct, Doug Spaulding, this is "The Jaunt" by Stephen King.

Look here.

"Live Forever!"