Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    something wicked this way comes
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

something wicked this way comes
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well, dont know my number, but "something wicked this way comes" is my favorite thing.
Also in this theme I remember two stories which impressed me much. "The scythe" and "The wind". Always wondered where are lying these ideas and these legends. Only two more autors have the similar spirit in some their things (I know only them). They are Gogol and Hauff. I'll be pleased if someone will tell me other authors.

Posts: 16 | Location: msk, russia | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Scythe" and "The Wind" are so original I've never seen any other stories like them.

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ezh: When I saw your reference to Gogol, I had to click on your profile and saw that you are located in Russia. I took a Grad Seminar in European literature and we read Dead Souls, by Gogol (thought it was great), but have not read anything else by him, nor have I seen many references to him. I've not heard of Hauff. Is he Russian, also? Can you recommend other titles by them that you think are worth reading?

Thanks.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Illustrated Man, Mr.Dark: Dead souls by Gogol is a great thing, but not one I meant. His earlier stories, short stories, describes Ukraine. http://ruslit.virtualave.net/gogol/eveengl.html This is one of his stories. It is bad, but I could not find other.
And Hauff is a german writer. He wrote tales.

Posts: 16 | Location: msk, russia | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, ezh. I will ask you the same question as all the Russians: have you ever seen or heard of the Russian version of "Dandelion Wine," "Vino iz oduvanchikov"? Can you describe it for us or enlighten us on it in any way?

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion::: Try...

click on:
http://www.russianthings.com/books/FindKey.asp?lang=Eng&CatID=30

And...

click on:
http://www.russianthings.com/books/defaulteng.htm

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 01-11-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ezh:

Is Hauff the same as the German author E.T.A. Hoffman? He wrote these FANTASTIC tales that were really fantasy-tinged. I fell in love with them when I read them. I had a professor that loved him. I'm still glad he introduced us to him.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nard, but I meant the movie, about which I've learned little except that it was a miniseries made in the Ukraine, not the book. Mr. Dark, did you read "The Golden Pot" by E. T. A. Hoffman? What did you think of it?

posted Hide Post
The strange fact is that I have not even heard about such a movie. I'll search for it.
What about Hauff, he wrote tales similar to Hoffman, but other. They are mostly based on german legends.
Dandelion: have you read Hauff?

posted Hide Post
Have read little of Hoffman and none of Hauff.

posted Hide Post
I did read "Golden Pot". I remember enjoying everything I read of his, but don't remember details. I've got to dig up my book and check it out again.