Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Short story find help?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short story find help?
 Login/Join

posted
I need help finding ashort story. I've searched everywhere and i can't seem to find it. I am pretty sure its a Ray Bradbury ,but i might be wrong.

The story is about a little girl and her class who is on mars ,and the sun only come up every 10-20 years(something like that, i don't remember the exact number of years). That day the sun is coming up. Everyone is excited, especially one girl who came from earth and misses the sun, remembering its great qualities. She tries to explain what it's like to the mars-born children ,but they tease and don't beleive her. To be even meaner the kids gang up on her and lock her into a closet. She's stuck in there while the sun comes up. The children then realize the girl was right and feel horrible. The girl missed the sun and now has to wait another 10 or 20 years.

That's what i remember from the story. I might have some things wrong ,but i beleive that's the basic plot. Can anyone help?

Thanks! Smiler

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Algernon,
The story is called “All Summer In A Day” and can be found in Ray Bradbury’s collection called “A Medicine For Melancholy”. Reread the story if you can, it takes place on Venus, not Mars, but I love the way you’ve remembered it. It says something about how Ray’s narratives stay with us and we retain what’s important or fun about them. Love your name too. Do you know its background in Science Fiction?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh, thank you! I knew i missed some details! That's probably why i was having such trouble finding the story. I read the story over 4 years ago ,and now that i have it i'm going to read it right now.
It truely is amazing how his narratives stays with us. Its actually the only story i remember reading at that time ,and i just can't forget how bad i felt for the girl.

And thank you! I do know it's background. It's the mouse's name in "Charley" or "Flowers for Algernon". I really love the story(and the mouse's name Lol!). It's stuck with me for over 5 years and i can never forget it. Smiler

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post