Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Pedestrian

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Pedestrian
 Login/Join

posted
I really like The Pedestrian. I think Bradbury uses some good sensory details. The story in general was pretty cool to me. The idea he had of the future and of television appealed to me quite a bit. I highly enjoy futuristic stories.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 20 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. The pedestrian would have to be my favorite too.
Again for the futuristic theme of the story.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 20 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that you have both picked up on the futuristic aspect as being what attracts you. How far into the future do you think the story is set? Do you know when the story was written? Do you think we have "reached" the future Bradbury was writing about? Do you think we ever will?

Question, questions, always with the questions!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kayla and Brandon, I agree, The Pedestrian is one of my favorites by Ray. I enjoy the futuristic feel and how he warns us to mind our technology. Phil, you brought up the question on if we are at the point in the future like in The Pedestrian. When I first read it, my immediate reaction was no. However when I thought about it I realized, for most of us, throughout the day we are watching TV, on the phone, on the computer,and we go out to the movies. However, we are not to the world that was portrayed in Ray's future world because there are still some who enjoy the more old school form of entertainment, whether it be painting, creating music, or bowling. I don't think we can really reach that future unless one of two things happen: The people who enjoy a various amount of "hands-on" stuff other then things that deal with some sort of viewing screen (including the viewing screen you are using to read this on your phone or iPod touch) sink in and give up their passions, or the government takes over our freedom, and inforces the "progression" of the human race like in the story.

<3ChrissyGale

Posts: 3 | Registered: 19 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Pedestrian would also have to be one of my favorite stories as well. I agree with the comments said about what makes this story so great is it's sensory details and furistic theme. Most stories written by Ray Bradbury seem to be with some hint or assumption into the future. Which is so great, because it seems the best to reach into the future where your free to make any assumption you would like.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 20 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChrissyGale.love:
...I don't think we can really reach that future unless one of two things happen...

That's a good answer, and perhaps ties in with the idea that Bradbury is setting out to PREVENT certain futures by warning us of the dangers.

With this thought in mind, a great Bradbury story to read is "The Toynbee Convector".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danie:
...best to reach into the future where your free to make any assumption you would like.

Good point, but the assumption must surely relate to something important to our society - no point in making an arbitrary assumption that no one would care about.

- Phil