Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please Help
 Login/Join

posted
Please help me. I recently checked out _Something Wicked This Way Comes_ from the local library and now can't find my book... It's misplaced somewhere in the house or in our vehicle or (shudder) lost. It's checked out until 3/11 so I'm not too worried about it but it is bugging me, so please if anyone knows where it is, let me know... thanks

Seriously, I am enjoying _SWTWC_ and rediscovery Bradbury agai. He was one of my favorite authors in my younger days and I think a very underrated American writer, in him I see seeds of Stephen King and others.... I'm happy to discover this website.

War is how Americans learn Geography.

Posts: 2 | Location: La Mesa, CA USA | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You had me going there. I was trying to think up something subtly sarcastic. Luckily I read the second paragraph. I Love SWTWC -- it deals with great themes in such a sensitive, real way: good vrs evil, regret, family, loyalty, self-sacrifice, love, etc.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm still missing my book and it's bothering me, but I realized everyone would probably think I am crazy based on my posting....

I do want to re-read more Bradbury after this, _The Martian Chronicles_ etc., do you have any recommendations for his newer works?

War is how Americans learn Geography.

Posts: 2 | Location: La Mesa, CA USA | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His newest book, Let's All Kill Constance, is a great mystery. But I would recommend you read Death is a Lonely Business first.
From the Dust Returned is another great and recent book. Happy reading!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm new to this board as you probably can tell. It's unbelievable there's a forum like this to discuss one of America's all time best writers, RB.

The book that left the biggest impression on me was "Something Wicked This Way Comes". I grew up in a small town in West Central Minnesota and read this story when I was probably in about 8th grade. So many of the elements of the story paralled life in my hometown in the early 1970's. The old houses and old buildings, storms sweeping across the prairie, even the fair that comes to town. RB's style is wonderful for juvenile readers making their first forays into full blown novels. SWTWC is wonderful because it couples RB's poetic style of writing with subtle hints of horror, which always seem to appeal to young readers. The wonderful memories one aquires reading this stories as a pre-teen, teen, or young adult pierce the cloudy veil of age as one grows older (as they are doing for me since I discovered this message board). Many things made my childhood a wonderful event, most of which were family and my hometown. RB's writings helped add to the glue that bound my childhood together.

I can still remember associating the old Carnegie library in our town with the library in the story. I remember feeling as though I was the protagonist in the story as I walked through the dark residential streets of my town after dark. I imagined the carnival coming to town as storms would roll across the open fields around our farm in the summertime.

RB, thanks for capturing childhood in a bottle.

Posts: 15 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN USA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
minn8918--You have a good way with words--"Ray Bradbury's stories helped add to the glue that bound my childhood together," in particular really caught my eye. Maybe a little bit of Ray has rubbed off on you!! One of my students is just starting "Something Wicked," and I can't wait to see how he likes it. Several others have also just started "Martian Chronicles," one of my favorites. (We're currently in the midst of a sci fi/fantasy unit.) I'm hoping my students get into Ray Bradbury as you did at the same age. I usually manage to hook one or two every year....

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Imskipper. It's great that you offer RB as reading selections for your class. "Martian Chronicles" was the book that hooked me (as a reading assignment for the whole class).

I've always aspired to be a writer, but never can seem to get myself into gear.

You've got a great profession! Kids will always remember (and thank you) when they reach adulthood. I know this because I appreciate the fact that my 8th grade English teacher opened me up to RB.

Posts: 15 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN USA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Noteworthy.....

Ray's novel, 'Let's All Kill Constance'...

...was totally dictated to his daughter... from his hospital bed, and while he was in convalesence from his stroke...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I've always aspired to be a writer..."

minn8918, if you haven't checked out Ray's ZEN IN THE ART OF WRITING, that should get you started!

Also, Anne Lamott's BIRD BY BIRD is often a favorite among "aspiring" writers.

Don't let your gifts sit idle, they are they whole reason you are here.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post