Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What short story am I thinking of?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What short story am I thinking of?
 Login/Join

posted
It involved a man travelling across country. He met a woman. They spent an afternoon (or was it a night) in a field. He moved on.

I read this story many years ago, unless it was a dream. I've scanned my Bradbury collection but can't find it. Can anyone help me?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read a story like that once. In this story people moved thru time at different speeds, so your encounters were always very brief. Sometimes you'd only catch a glimpse of someone, other times you'd have several minutes or even hours together before one of you slipped into another plane of existence. This story had two people meeting, falling in love, consumating their relationship, and being torn apart within a matter of hours. I can't remember the title or author, it was very long ago and it's fading away, just like the lovers in the story.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't remember anything mystical, or any science fiction elements in the story I'm trying to recall. I could be wrong, though. It's been a long time.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could it be "One Night in Your Life" from "The Toynbee Convector"? Major favorite of mine among Ray's stories!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JackEl:
It involved a man travelling across country. He met a woman. They spent an afternoon (or was it a night) in a field. He moved on.

I read this story many years ago, unless it was a dream. I've scanned my Bradbury collection but can't find it. Can anyone help me?
I have never heard of it. How do you know its a by bradbury. The plot sound pretty basic it could have been by anyone.

Posts: 19 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've come up with ??? on this one:
The weightlifter son, oils himself up, says very little to any one, has few if any friends, lives with his parents, and goes to the muscle beach to fit in, but really is rather shallow from story's start to finish. I continue to draw a blank...

There is a string somewhere deep in the vaults in which we discussed least liked RB's. I am not sure I disliked this one, but I did find it a bit disconcerting when I first read it.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one sounds like "Heavy-Set" from (I think) "I Sing The Body Electric".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...tick-tick-tick-tick!" Thanks, Braling II, That rings a bell. I'll have to revisit this one.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post