Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hi
 Login/Join

posted
Hey everyone, I just recently (like just now) have joined this group! I was really glad to see Ray has a website!

Anyway, I, too, am in search of a short story I read a long while ago. All I remember about is that it's about a young boy who falls in love with his teacher. It's very short, and at the end I believe he's older and he goes to find her, to see that she died many years back or something.

Please, if anyone has any clue as to what I'm trying to describe, contact me! Thank you, and again I'm glad to be a new member here. -Velmaj

Posts: 3 | Location: california | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board, the website, and the fandom!

"A Story of Love," aka "These Things Happen," is collected in "Long After Midnight."

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another excellent Bradbury story with a very similar theme is "The Emissary" which is one of the stories in "The October Country".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Velmaj,

I think your story description comes closer to the segment of A Dish of Lime Vanilla Ice Cream in Dandelion Wine. The name of the original short story escapes me but then it could be the very same story Dandelion's taling about being collected in Long After Midnight.

Braling II,

I respectfully disagree. The Emissary was about the sick boy and his dog who brings the outside world, and more, to him.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you all very much!

I just found my Long After Midnight book, it was nice reading the story once again. That's always been a story thats stuck to me.

I had another question... what are the regulations of making his short stories into movies? I'd like to put that story into a short film for school, anyone know about the rights, etc.?

thanks again!

Posts: 3 | Location: california | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AHA, I know everything. At least here on this thread.

The Lime-Vanilla Ice story is called "The Swan."

Rights and regulations for making films are that it is perfectly legal to film a Bradbury story for your own purposes such as school, and to keep copies for yourself and your friends, but it is absolutely illegal to do anything with it without permission. You can't charge admission to show a film made without permission (which involves getting permission from the copyright holders and paying them I don't know what.) If your friends want copies, you can't take money for them. You have to accept blank VHS tapes or DVDs and do the copying for free.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you very much! I just dont want a legal suit by adapting one of his stories- good to hear its as simple as not charging.

posted Hide Post
Pete, the similarity is the boy's love for his teacher who dies. Other than that, you're right. A VERY different ending, too! (heh! heh!)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,

A VERY different ending, indeed!

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,
I just noticed the enclosure associated with your “Location”.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ch. 31: I had noticed BrII's residence a while back. I paused for a moment, shrugged (I suppose), and then thought, "So what did you expect?!"

He retreats to the basement shadows as needed, recharges, then reappears completely re-energized to offer his astute posts, in a bounty hunter kinda way!

As for "The Emissary," I've asked before, "Good Dog" or "Bad Dog?"
Also, above, "heh, heh!"

SEE! What did I just say?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post