Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Need a story ID!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a story ID!
 Login/Join

posted
An earthman crashes on an alien planet... he finds the planet deserted... discovers remains of an alien city... the environment is harsh... water tastes hot and acidic... air is bad, etc etc... but over time he feels like the city is adapting to his needs... it becomes more liveable... he thinks that it finally has adapted to him, but in fact, at the end it is revealed that HE has adapted to the PLANET.

please help... i know it's Bradbury - posssibly from R is for Rocket.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So in case I wasn't clear... the above post is a question. Can anyone name that story???

And oh yes, the magic word... PLEASE.

I really want to pass it down to my chilkdren and cannot find it anywhere. I am certain it is Bradbury -- uncertain of which collection.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds sort of like 'Dark they were and golden eyed' (but not exactly). Anyone else?

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least 50% Bradbury, or Bradburyesque anyway.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here There Be Tygers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it might be "Tygers", but I quickly re-read it this morning, and it doesn't match.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought initially, "Not an RB!"

Then I recalled what seemed like a few similarities in "Tygers" to the concepts posed by SH _ W, but it did seem a stretch. (As I remember, it was the entire planet that enticed the man,... and then for what purpose?) I, too, meant to re-read but, alas, had no copy at hand in my classroom. Good detective work, phil - as usual!

Here are s.s. from R is for Rocket: So???
R Is for Rocket
The End of the Beginning
The Foghorn
The Rocket
The Rocket Man
The Golden Apples of the Sun
A Sound of Thunder
The Long Rain
The Exiles
Here There Be Tygers
The Strawberry Window
The Dragon
The Gift
Frost and Fire
Uncle Einar
The Time Machine
The Sound of Summer Running

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I know the story - I read it within the last few months. But I disremember the name just now.

Will have to look it up when I get home.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This does sound familiar. Does the main character end up growing a tail?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here There Be Tygers, I thought. I haven't been able to re-read it yet.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
disremember

Disremember is a GREAT word !

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure is - I got it from Robert Mitchum.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Name dropper.

Robert Mitchum, once described thusly (I can't remember who said it):

"He doesn't so much act, as point his suit at people."

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Here There Be Tygers, I thought. I haven't been able to re-read it yet.

No tail in that one, Doug.

The closest I can think of is Dark They Were, and Golden Eyed.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Name dropper.

Robert Mitchum, once described thusly (I can't remember who said it):

"He doesn't so much act, as point his suit at people."

Not personally - I heard him say it in the wonderful Night of the Hunter.

Russell Davies made that statement.

"Live Forever!"